1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop Viewer on Linux Mint 8 Not there?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lastrachris, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

I gave one of my friends Linux Mint 8 recently and I was trying to hook her up with all these cool features so I thought that I would just be able to connect to the Remote Desktop Viewer. When I tried to connect, over and over again I got this error message "Connection Closed to _____" So then I give her a call and ask her if she even has it, turns out she doesn't have it installed. Is there a way I could manually install that?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Even if she had RD Viewer, you would not be able to connect that way. That is simply for her to connect to other machines running the RDP service such as Windows. If you want to be able to connect to her machine, I would suggest VLC.

3. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

Okay, thanks

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Don't you mean VNC? VNC.

VLC is the VideoLan Client, which is a media player. :)

As for allowing remote connections TO a Linux machine, the required software might already be installed. I run Ubuntu and I simply had to enable allowing remote systems to control my system and I was able to connect from Windows using a VNC client (I used TightVNC).

Right now, I use rdesktop to access a Windows XP box and a Windows 7 box.

Peace...

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

HAHAHA right you are. Yes VNC.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice