1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop w/o Password?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DiGiTY, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

My Windows Vista machine's sole purpose is to run Media Center so naturally Windows logs in using the default/only user account without a password. The thing is Remote Desktop won't allow me to remote in since the account doesn't have a password. How do I get around this (... so that Windows auto logs in and launches Media Center and I can still remote in)???

TIA

P.S. - I'm running Vista Ultimate.

2. mobo

mobo

Try logging in as administrator first.

Type in netplwiz into the start menu search box.

Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply.

You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK:

Now the username will still auto logon but now it will have a password to it which may be the answers for your situation.

3. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

thanks. worked like a charm

4. mobo

mobo

Anytime..

5. jmwills

jmwills

Okay, that makes three ways I know of now to get at that utility.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

And people wonder why there computers get infected with viruses and trojan horse downloaders. A little security goes a long way. I don't care what anybody thinks about their computer habits or how secure they think their network is. Setting up any computer to Autologin is a bad bad bad idea. Especially if it can be accessed by other computers on the network.

7. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

i agree, but it's my media center computer sitting under the HD TV in the living room. having to use a keyboard and enter a password every time it boots up seems to just take away from it's set-top box functionality.

plus i don't have internet and my wireless router is off, so i should be okay security wise

8. jmwills

jmwills

So what you have is a really expensive TIVO and DVD player, right?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"The thing is Remote Desktop won't allow me to remote in since the account doesn't have a password"

This can be solved also. Is it still an issue?

10. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

yes. but i put in around $35 bucks to put this HTPC together, so i was lucky (and being cheap on eBay)

11. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

u mean it can be solved without creating a password and turning off the "require password to login" option in netplwiz?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes it can be solved if that is still an issue for you.

13. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

i guess it's not. thanx

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Ok. Just wanted to check since there is a relatively simple group policy that be changed to allow remote desktop without a password. But it sounds like things are as you would like them.

15. white-devil

white-devil

As it so happens I was just googling to find the group policy entry that would allow me to RDP using an account without a password. If you wouldn't mind posting it I would really appreciate it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice