1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr_Webmaster, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster Thread Starter

Here's a stopper for you:

Running Remote Desktop Web connection, it tells me that "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively."

This is with a correct username and password, and I'm authorized to use Remote desktop.

How would I go about fixing this?

2. ChuckG

ChuckG

Mr Webmaster- In order for this thing to work, your default email program has to be Outlook Express. It may also work with Outlook, but I don't know.

Also, make sure that your remote services are turned on in your services.....Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

3. Mr_Webmaster

What does E-mail have to do with Remote Desktop? I'm running outlook. and which remote service? I have remote desktop enabled in the system propteries.

4. Mr_Webmaster

Tried setting my default e-mail client to Outlook Express, and it didn't work. I have attached a screenshot taken using the web interface.

Attached Files:

5. ChuckG

ChuckG

I've used remote assistance before and the first time I tried to connect to another computer, I received the same error message.

Believe it or not, this program runs through Outlook Express or Messenger. I don't know about using Messenger, but Outlook Express must be your DEFAULT email for this to work. Both you and the other machine you're trying to connect to must have these programs. I would suggest that you make sure that both computers have Outlook Express as it's default email. Also, if you are behind a firewall, turn it off.

So, I made Outlook Express my default email, and the error was gone and I was able to connect to the other machine.

Try it out.....it's kinda fun.

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

ChuckG

I use remote desktop sharing on 2 computers which both are set to Outlook as default mail not Outlook Express and I have no probs connecting ?

7. EvileYe

EvileYe

From Microsofts site :
    To resolve this behavior, add allowed users to the Remote Desktop Users list:
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click System, and then on the Remote tab, click Select Remote Users.
    Click Add type in the user account name, and then click OK.

If you are adding more than one user name, use a semicolon to separate the names.
    Note: Adding users to the Remote Desktop Group requires that you are logged on through an administrator account.

Read the full link here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289289

8. Mr_Webmaster

ChuckG-
    I'm trying to use Remote Desktop, which is different than remote asstince, and Remote desktop uses the users of the computer to login.

EvileYe-
    Remote Desktop sharing is a NetMeeting thing, and I'm using Windows XP's Remote desktop (terminal services remaned)

EvileYe-
    I'm a member of every group exept Guests, I already did that to no avail.

Told you guys it was a stopper:D

9. Mr_Webmaster

scratch that, I'm part of every group exept for Guests, users, and power users (i'm part of the admin group), and it still doesn't work.

10. Mr_Webmaster

Bumpity bump, I need to fix this.

11. Mr_Webmaster

12. Mr_Webmaster

13. Mr_Webmaster

bump agian, there are a lot of threds here.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!