1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop will NOT connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JonnyW, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonnyW

JonnyW Thread Starter

I am having problems connecting to my PC using (MS) Remote Desktop.
    When I run netstat -a I cannot see any service listening on port 3389.

I did have pcAnywhere installed (which I have since removed) and I am wondering if this has kicked off the problem.

I have tried everything, all the usual options are selected (My Computer > Remotes > Allow Users To Connect To This PC etc.) and Terminal Services are active in Services but I just CANNOT get a remote connection.

Is there any way I can get the RD service to run (via a DOS command or otherwise) so that it listens on port 3389 for incoming TCP connections?

Any ideas? :mad:

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

PCAnywhere does not affect any of RD's services and actually can run simultaniously on a PC.

IF RD is not showing as listening then it is looking like its a service problem. RD will ALWAYS look for the connection on 3389 unless you modify the registry.

Also check your Terminal Services service and see if its set to manual or automatic. I have seen a few times where its started but not set to either of the 2 (sometimes occurs when you force it to start then install something that disables it).

Also are you trying to remote desktop inside your own lan or are you trying to RD from and external lan?

Oh yeah and one more thing check if you have any firewalls I usually suggest dropping them and get a good connection then once you have that then renable and configure your firewalls.

3. JonnyW

JonnyW Thread Starter

I have Terminal Services set to Automatic. Everything looks OK in the Services but I can't see why it is not "listening" in the netstat report.

I can't conect on the LAN either !!

Is there any way I can start it manually via DOS?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well maybe try ending the Terminal Services service and then restarting it? A reboot should do the same thing. Is there anything in the event viewer about problems with the TS service?

Remote Desktop IS Terminal Services and if you do it through command prompt or GUI its the same function.

The not listening on that port really has me stumped as even with a firewall up the port should be showing on that particular PC.

5. PcGuyinOH

PcGuyinOH

The primary client-side component is the Remote Desktop Connection application. All operations that the user carries out are actually executed on the terminal server. The remote desktop connection software is responsible for receiving screen updates from the terminal server and for relaying keyboard and mouse signals to the terminal server.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/335864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice