1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop won't work (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrbrdo, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

I have 4 computers in my LAN, they share the same workgroup. I am having a problem with a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. I enabled remote desktop and i cannot connect to it from another computer.
    When i try to connect from another computer, i first type in the IP or NetBios name of the computer in question. I get a prompt to enter credentials (username and password). Next i get a prompt because the computer i am trying to connect from is Windows Vista (i tried from another XP computer and it didn't work there eihter), which basically says that it can't verify the identity of the computer and i click yes to continue. After that, the prompt disappears and the Computer input box and the Connect, Help and Options >> buttons in the remote desktop client are greyed out for about 2 seconds, then it just becomes editable\clickable and it doesn't connect, neither does it give any error message. I just can't connect to the remote machine. From the problematic machine i can connect to other machines in my network via remote desktop and it works fine.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Forget about Vista, this also happens (same problem) if i try connecting from a Windows XP Professional SP2 computer to the problematic computer (which is running the same OS, XP SP2 Pro). It also happens if i try to connect from Windows 2003 Server or Windows Vista Ultimate. I can connect from the problematic computer to any of the other computers running any of those OS.

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Thanks, but i don't want to install IIS or Remote Desktop WEB Connection. I just want the usual Remote Desktop Connection which is included with Windows XP Professional versions.

6. Dan O

Dan O

The article is very good and has a lot of details.

You should checkout the section: Configure Remote Desktop

7. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Ok just in case, i did go trough the "Configure Remote Desktop" part again (i even created a password for my user again), but it didn't help, i still can't connect. I would rather try some more technical things, checking any registry values that might apply here, or trying something with telnet. I don't think there is a problem with my "user-friendly" configuration, as i've done it on quite a few computers now and it works everywhere. Just as a side-note i had a problem with this same computer that Windows IP Configuration mode was set to "Peer-Peer" so it wasn't able to access my network which has no WINS server. I had to change a registry key so it changed to "Hybrid", so that NetBIOS now works properly on this computer. I think there may be a similar problem with Remote Desktop, or that some file for Remote Desktop is broken.

8. natcom

natcom

is the remote desktop connection ports open port 3389 ?

9. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

it seems to be, i can telnet to it from another machine or from the machine itself and it opens a connection, although nothing is printed out (i'm assuming that's OK).

10. nappymonster

nappymonster

I don't personally use remote desktop. www.logmein.com is a free bit of software that you install, then you can access your computer anywhere in the world.

I use it all the time - especially to prove to people that I have done by homework, just that i forgot to bring it in :p

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just checking one basic: the user account(s) you are using to login to the problematic computer must be allowed network login. The user account you used to enable Remote Desktop is automatically allowed. Are you using a different user account on the other machines?

Compare services on an XP machine that allows Remote Desktop to those on the problematic machine (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

I expect that 'Workstation,' the two that start 'Remote Procedure ...' and 'Remote Desktop Help Session Manager' are likely candidates. Maybe also the two that start 'Remote Access ....'

12. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

yep it's an administrator account that enabled Remote Desktop. Appropriate services are enabled (i was talking with some guy before who listed about 5 or 6 and they are all enabled).
    It's weird because if i telnet into that computer on port 3389 it connects.. It just doesn't display anything.

13. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

any ideas anyone?

14. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

no? :S

15. gurutech

gurutech

Check to make sure that "Remote Desktop" is enabled in the Windows Firewall. It's located on the Exceptions tab.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!