1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by n79ford, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

Just a question on how to do it basically, and how does it work? I am at work some of the times and i would like to access some of the doccuments i have at home, My home system has xp pro and work has 2000 pro, work also has T1 and cable at my house. Help? :confused:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

question there lwdsquashman: i have my ip address, 192.168.0.1 now would i be using that or be using my 24.116.0.0 address that is givin from my isp? i have 2 computers on this network here how do i tell the VNC program what computer i want to connect to while i am at work?

thanks for the help

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

When you are at work, you will use your WAN IP address (ISP). You need to forward a port on your router to your 192.168.X.X address. In the VNC configuration, it will show you what port number it is running on. I usually change it too something else. I think the default is 5900 or 5800.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you look on the UltraVNC site and follow the help links, it should be obvious how to select multiple machines on a single network behind a router. Basically, you use the screen number and the public IP address.

6. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

Hey people i am at work now, did the port forwarding, changed it to port 59, also changed the HTTP one at home to 59 both say 59. Try to connect, no go... Iders?

7. angel

angel

I'm thinking your ISP may not allow this. With my ISP, any connection request to any of the computers on my network must initiate from the INSIDE. I still haven't figured out how to get around this with VNC.

8. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

Well that is kind of dissapointing

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can't have any requests come to your machine from outside, it limits a lot of uses. That really sucks, and I'd be looking for a new ISP! :(

10. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

I think it should be time anyway, i am using cableone bythe way if anyone else is ?

11. n79ford

n79ford Thread Starter

Hey guess what folks, Its working, I changed all the defauly ports to 5900 what it is supposed to be and it works!. For thoes of you using it is it really slow? Does it seem slow to respond? Maybe just connection or something along them lines. Thanks for the help all.!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice