1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote E-Mail Retrieving

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zsnaker, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zsnaker

zsnaker Thread Starter

OK, I'm a bit new here, so KISS (Keep it simple, Sherwood). I have an Outlook Express set up by People PC. I can get my mail fine when at home, but when I try to access my account from a different 'puter, it tells me I have no messages. I know I do, because I sent some to myself to test it out. Any Ideas?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

3. zsnaker

zsnaker Thread Starter

Thanks, DoyceJ, that allowed me to pick up one message. Question.....if I get my messages on the outlook express, does that delete them from the peoplepc mail site? I buddy sent me a msg and I saw it on BOTH, but when I opened it, the one on people pc dissappeared.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Well, we are really getting beyond what I am familiar with. I use a web based mail for personal stuff to avoid all of that. Outlook for business. My guess is that the first one to the server gets it. But dont quote me on that.

5. zsnaker

zsnaker Thread Starter

Roger that. I'll just have to experiment and see what's what. Thanks again for the help. Being an old man and fairly obtuse, I need all the help I can get!
    Ssssssnake

6. hewee

hewee

zsnaker,

I use Netscape so some else will have to tell you but you will have a setting to leave email on server.

If your email is on your email server go here to http://mailstart.com/ and check your mail.
    You will see the place for your email address and password.
    It's the same as you use for you ISP and it checks your ISP email server for the email address and password too.

Once a week is all you can use it for free but get the full WebBox for only $10 per year.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Thanks hewee, forgot all about that.

To store messages on a mail server
    Storing messages on a server is useful if you need to read mail from more than one computer. When you log on to your account from a different computer, Outlook Express downloads messages according to the options you have set. You can store messages on a POP3 server. If you have HTTP mail, such as Hotmail, or IMAP mail, your messages are always kept on the server.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

Click the mail account, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab, and then select Leave a copy of messages on server.

8. zsnaker

zsnaker Thread Starter

Thanks Mucho, folks. I did the clicky thang and hopefully this will remedy my quandry. This 'puting stuff could get to be a habit!
    Sssssnake

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

If you found us. Your already hooked. :D

Oh, and welcome to TSG. :)

10. Shamrock

Shamrock

zsnaker: I was wondering how long you've been with PeoplePc and if you are happy with it?

11. zsnaker

zsnaker Thread Starter

Shamrock,
    Have been w/ People PC for about two years now. I think it's the best deal going! You figure that internet service costs about $20/month with any company. PPC charges you $25/month and you get a free puter with it.
    They have been very helpful in the past, but I have to stay on hold for sooo long now to get through to their help line, I thought I'd try this BB. Once, the CD drive quit working....they had a repairman out within three days to fix (replace) it. Cost me nothing.
    By the by, I cheated...you got to purchase the package with a credit card. I did, then transfered the balance to another card that had a lower APR. Worked for me.
    Hope that this info helps.
    Sssssnake

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice