1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote file access - Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mdass79, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdass79

mdass79 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a LAN with four Windows XP Pro clients connected to one Windows Server 2003 machine.

I want to access the files in the server when I go abroad. How can I do that ? I've already given all the clients and the server a static IP.

Another question, are there any security threats that I must be aware of when I connect to the server remotely? I don't want to lose all my data!

Please help. Thank you.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Any time you setup something that allows you to connect in remotely there is a security risk plain and simple because you have introduced a means for someone else to connect in as well if they have the right tools/knowledge.

The main ways to circumvent problems is to change the program from the default ports to non standard ports, use strong passwords, and use encyption if avaiable.

Theres a number of ways you can do this if you just want to access individual files you can use an FTP server. If you want to access the W2K3's Desktop remotely you can use Remote Desktop which is integrated or you can use something like UltraVNC. Also you could setup a VPN from your PC to connect into your network and be an actual part of the network.

It all depends on what you want to do as to which route you may want to take.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Terminal services and RDP will work, but you need to have the applications installed on the server to work on the files on the server. You will also need to set up your printer driver on the server if you want to print at your remote location.

4. mdass79

mdass79 Thread Starter

Hello all,

Thank you for your reply. I have questions regarding the FTP Server, is CuteFTP a software that I can use to download the files that I need from my server?

And how do I activate RD service on W2K3 server? Do I also have to activate this service in the laptop that I will use to access the files in my server?

Thank you.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

CuteFTP is the software but on the server you have to have either IIS setup and running or run an actual FTP server from a 3rd party vendor (something like Serv-U FTP server.

W2K3 Has RD setup on it natively you just have to enable remote access by configuring user accounts, making sure you have set to allow remote access within the Remote tab of the properties of My COmputer and things like that.

In order to "connect in" you just go to communications folder in accessories and pick Remote Desktop Connection.

The best thing to do with Remote desktop is locally setup and ensure you can get from the laptop to the server on the LAN then work on opening the ports to the router and setting up a remote connection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice