1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote network boot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timberwolf-55, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timberwolf-55

timberwolf-55 Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to find a way to connect to a remote machine over my network, load a program on it which when I reboot the remote machine will cause it to then load a network boot program and then connect to a ghostcast server on the network so I can push a ghost image to the remote machine to do an O/S upgrade.

I have a network boot device configured from bootdisk.com which I can boot from floppy, CD or USB via IP using the lmhosts file and a logon.bat file if I'm at the remote machine, but I need to find a way to do it remotely so I don't have to be in front of the remote machine. I want to put it on the remote harddrive and have it work from there before windows loads when I reboot the machine. I have tried copying the boot files to the root of c:\ on the remote machine and I've edited the remote machine's autoexec.bat to have it start the boot device but it's not working, Windows starts like normal on the remote machine. Any ideas or software anyone knows of to accomplish this?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you using remote desktop?

I'm not sure I'm understanding fully what you are trying to do :confused:

3. timberwolf-55

timberwolf-55 Thread Starter

suppose I have a machine in a remote office across the state and I need to do an O/S upgrade. I want to connect to it via the company LAN and put some boot files on it which will, when I reboot the machine, have it connect over the lan to the Ghostcast server running on my Desktop in my office. Then I can push a standard Ghost image file to it and do the O/S upgrade without leaving my office and driving across the state.

Any Ideas? It works if I take a correctly configured boot CD or floppy to the remote site and do the reboot, I press F12 for the boot menu and select the boot device and I'm connected fine, but I need to cut down on the travel.

4. dez_666

dez_666

Hes asking if he can image a hard drive from several hundred miles away :)

Its nigh impossible dude, I cant even begine to imagine how you could do that...get someone else to run over there for you :p

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, since you don't have access to the remote computer running remote desktop until it boots up totally, I'm not sure that is possible :confused:

6. axis77

axis77

i believe you looking at the corporate ghost multicast funcion, you want a remote pc to somehow boot up to the network and point straight to the ghostcast for a image pulldown. You need corporate ghost, and the remote pc needs to be able to pxe boot on startup, so you dont have to put a cd network boot disk in.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice