1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Network Issue: How would I do this?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dougdon, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougdon

dougdon Thread Starter

Here's my situation: I will be going to college soon, but I need to keep access to a website that tracks IP addresses. Essentially, I need to log on to that website through my home network so that it doesn't show a second IP address on my account. I don't want to remotely access a computer on the network, I would like to access this website through my home network so the same IP address shows up on my account. Is this possible, and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Really the only way to do this without accessing another computer on your home network is to make your PC in college become your home network. This means setting up a VPN.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

As Stumpy has stated, your best bet is VPN access to your home network. You can buy cheap Soho vpn routers these days or you would have to run some type of VPN software on one of your computers at home. XP has this capability builtin, but like you said, you don't want to touch any of your computers at home which rules out all software solutions.

4. dougdon

dougdon Thread Starter

So Squashman, I could just plug in this VPN router to my existing router at home, and I'd be able to access it via an IP address in my web browser or something like that? Would the router come with software?

5. Squashman

You would most likely replace your existing router with one that has VPN capability. You can connect to the VPn using the builtin VPN client on XP with most of the Soho VPN routers. Some may come with clients but usually those are the higher end VPN solutions. I prefer to do this with an old computer that I have laying around and turn it into a VPN.

If you have an old computer laying around that you can keep on 24/7, you can make XP into a VPN server.
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

Or use something like this.
    http://www.peacefire.org/circumventor/simple-circumventor-instructions.html
    Kind of not what you need but it would work.

6. dougdon

dougdon Thread Starter

Edit: Never Mind, answered above.

7. dougdon

dougdon Thread Starter

So would I need a VPN router if I were to use an old computer, or would my current router be okay?

8. Squashman

Your current router should be OK but I can't say for sure because I don't know the make and model.

9. dougdon

dougdon Thread Starter

NETGEAR - RangeMax Next Wireless-N Router
    Model: WNR834B

So, with this set up, I could theoretically connect to my home network, download files from a website, and the website would log my home's IP address, correct?

By the way, thanks for all your help.

10. Squashman

It's not a theory, it is a proven result! ;)

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Why on earth would you need to go through all that?

12. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    As stated above, a VPN would be your only solution, but why ohhh why is that so important to you??

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice