Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote PC Games to your smartphone...

Solved 
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hello, I have an interesting idea, and I am curious if it can be done.

I think it would be pretty cool if I could play one of my PC games on my smart phone. I'm not sure how practical that would be, but none the less I would like to try it. Here are my thoughts on how to accomplish the task:

Input for one, could be accomplished by using a Bluetooth enabled gamepad that pairs with your phone. That way you can go beyond touch screen input for more complex games.

Then there is the small display to consider. While it is ideal for smaller scaled games, it isn't ideal for PC games where they are often very detailed and have complex user interfaces. I thought maybe you could use one of those headsets they use for things like Oculus Rift to narrow in the display. That would make it more ideal.

Now the tricky part, remoting to your PC so you can play the game. From what I understand, remoting is accomplished using RDP, which Windows, Apple and Linux all use. So in theory, you could easily remote to your computer to play a game. You could write a custom application for your smart phone to remote in and send input from the gamepad to your PC.

Now the issue of connectivity. PCs these days can easily render graphics in 1080p, and in some cases 4k. Now over a remote connection (using RDP), I am not sure the protocol can process that kind of data fast enough for consistent frame rates on the client (smart phone). You would likely have to compress the frames for faster processing. which means the graphics will be scaled down on the phone. Of course we are assuming that the client is connected to a decent Wi-Fi signal. I doubt LTE could handle that much data at once.

For development purposes, is there a different protocol that could be used to accomplish this task?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
So did my offering assist you please

#5 ·
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.