1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Security Cameras Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tal86, May 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, new here, nice to meet all of you.

I replaced my router few days ago, the same internet settings was saved, except the IP that changed.
    I have a problem I can not think why it happens.
    I have an application to watch my cameras with my phone while I am away.

The thing is all the settings are fine, when I'm on my phone supplier network, cellphone internet, the cameras work just fine and I can watch them all.
    When I'm getting home and going on my wifi network the cameras do not show a thing.

With my old router I was able to watch with wifi on the same IP and also with cellphone network.
    Now I have to create a new channel in the cameras application and put the local IP for the wan network.

Does anybody know how to fix that?
    Really annoying,
    Thank you all,
    Tal.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Tal, and welcome to TSG.

Connecting to your router's public IP address while connected inside on the LAN is called looping back through the router. Some routers do not support looping back and your new one may be one of them.

3. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

Well, how I can check if my router have it or does not have it?
    And if not, is there a way to add it?

Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try it. Either it works or doesn't. (If I understand your initial post you have already tried it and it doesn't work.)

No. Technically I suppose if you have the knowledge you could "patch" the router's firmware, but if you could do that you wouldn't be asking us. :)

cwwozniak likes this.
  5. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.

So I gotta patch the version, but my question is like this, how I can know if the latest version I update to have the option of this loopback?
    I just update and try to connect the same way and check? Haha
    Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You misunderstood. You should be using the latest update but there is not likely to be a firmware update to add that. You would have to know how to get a copy of the firmware or the source that created it, change the code, and replace the manufacture's version with your own. As I said above, if you have the knowledge you could "patch" the router's firmware, but if you could do that you wouldn't be asking us.

7. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Hmm I see...
    Haha okay.
    Is there a way to make the lan ip that the cameras get to static one?

Everytime the router is off or on the cameras lan ip changes.

The main ip is static is it helps.
    Thanks.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It sounds like your cameras are using DHCP to connect to your new router. There may be at least two ways to give them static IP addresses.

1) The quickest way would be just on your new router if it supports a function called DHCP reservation or something similar. This forces the DHCP server in the router to reserve a given IP address for a device with a given MAC address. You would need to check your router documentation to see if it supports DHCP reservation and how to set it for each camera on your LAN.

2) You could also set each camera to a static IP address instead of using DHCP. You would first need to check your router's LAN Subnet Mask and DHCP settings. You would then adjust the DHCP settings to exclude a range of IP addresses from DHCP but within the subnet mask. You would then need to log into each camera at its current IP address, turn off DHCP, and set a unique static IP address in the router's DHCP excluded range.

If your cameras are now changing IP addresses every time the router reboots, I am surprised that you are able to access them from your phone through an outside Internet connection. Reliable access to LAN device from the Internet usually requires the router use port forwarding to specific static IP addresses.

What do you mean by your main IP address is static? Are your referring to your router's Public IP Address or the LAN IP address of the router?

9. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.
    I will try these options.

Well this is what I domt understand either.
    Why every reebot the lan ip for cameras changes
    When I go on wifi it wont show me cause ip changed. But when on phone net it will show me because its on the main router ip.

The net settings of the dvr cameras is set to get auto info for net details, ip, lan mac etc..

I tried to change it manually to the main ip and the submask and when going on phone net I do not see live view.

Maybe I did something wrong?

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    DVR??? You never mentioned any DVR in your previous posts. We may have all been working under the impression you were connecting through the Internet directly to your individual cameras.

Please provide details with the brands and model numbers of the DVR and router and exactly how they are interconnected. Is the new router also a modem that connects to your ISP or does the router connect to a separate modem?

Do the cameras connect to the DVR using the same LAN you are using for your other devices or do they have their own dedicated LAN or some other type of connections to the DVR?

11. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

You are right, sorry for not giving all info.

I have a vision net dvr, not sure if you know the brand, I come from Israel and the dvr is made here.

Also the main router is a net router with a tv stream that also provided by Israeli company.
    The router is connected through the walls and transfering the internet through the tv cables that comes from the house infrastructure.
    On the main router there is a tiny modem or some kind of device that probably converts something/makes the option to transfer the net with the tv signal cables.

Than like on other rooms in the house I got more routers/modems that connected also with the tv wall signal.

This option let you have wifi in all places in house with maxium net speed.

I think its the same like wps way.
    But for example on my basement the wps did not work.
    But now it gets its net from the tv signal cable and goes to another router or modem not sure how you call it.

So I have a main wifi that when I move in my house I have everywhere signal from the tiny routers.

The dvr is connected by lan cable to one of the tiny routers.
    And set to auto option in the net settings.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have heard of whole-house WiFi but am not at all familiar with how it is implemented and how LAN IP addresses are assigned from the various access points. Hopefully, someone else here will be able to provide further assistance.

Just to clarify a few points, it sounds like the individual cameras have no trouble connecting directly, either wired or wirelessly, to the DVR. Is that correct? You are able to remotely connect to the DVR with your smartphone app through the Internet with no problem. Is that correct? Your only issue is that when you use your smartphone app at home via WiFi, rather than a cell data connection, you cannot use the public IP address for the connection. Is that correct?

Is the whole house WiFi system provided by your combined cable TV and Internet Service Provider?

Is the new router the same brand and model number as the old router?

13. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.

Yes you are right, the only problem I got is when I go on wifi and try to watch cameras on app on public ip.

When going off wifi I can see without problems.

The new router is same brand and same model I think the only diffs is that it supports 5ghz and 2ghz.

The main idea of this net way is just like wps.
    You got main device and other connects with wps way.

Here imagine the tv got a signal cable to comes from house wall into the tv streamer and lets you have signal to watch the tv normally.

The router is combined with the tv streamer.
    Also it have a little modem to it that goes from the wall to it and than back to the main router I think it is the device that lets you transfer the net over these tv signal cables.

Nevermind the way its connected it works just like normal router.
    In Israel it is very new and very smart way to have wifi in a big house.
    Maybe it is different from the places you and me lives.

I have a net supplier to the router.
    What else?

Big thank you for your help.

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the router was redesigned for any reason, such as adding additional WiFi frequencies, the loop-back function may have been removed or broken along the way.

You could report the issue to the router manufacturer's tech support people. If the loop-back function removal was purely a firmware issue and the modem supports downloading firmware updates, they may be convinced to put the function back in a later update.

Tal86 likes this.
  15. Tal86

Tal86 Thread Starter

Yeah, the thing is they did not know the problem and just kept telling me no no you need a static ip...
    Lol.. it doesnt even have anything to do with static ip here. The problem is when going on wifi, as you called it loopback.
    So I am gonna tell them this word and ask for support again.

Thank you very much,
    Have a good day.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice