1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote shutdown help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mooash, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I've got a computer in another room which I just VNC into that I use to download stuff over night so I don't have to have my noisy desktop running. I've got WOL working fine but now I can't seem to remotely shut it down no matter what I try. I try doing it with CMD except access is denied, I've tried loads of programs like power off and such. This computer has no firewall and has windows firewall turned off. Any help?

Cheers,
    Mooash

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

PowerOff usually works just fine for me.
    Have you tried PStools.
    When you do remote access to a Windows PC the username you are using needs to have a password.

Would help if you could tell us what version of Windows you are using as well.

3. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I'm using UltraVNC so the account doesn't need to have a password.

I'm using Windows 7 RC and the other computer is using xp.

Tried PStools, can't get that to work either.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Maybe I'm missing something here. But if you're VNC'd into the other computer, that means you've pretty much have regular console access. So how come you can't just click Start->Turn Off Computer?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, that's how I shutdown systems using UltraVNC. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839345