1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote system attemping to access your computer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by LCalder865, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCalder865

LCalder865 Thread Starter

I keep getting a message for Norton Internet Security as follows: "A remote system is attemping to access your computer." It pops up about every minute to 5 minutes. What can I do about this.

Linda

2. LCalder865

I know this is probably very trivial to some but could someone please help me on this. I work online alot with the IRS and it is messing up the computer where I have to restart it very often. I have ran Ad-Aware and Spybot and it still does it.

Linda

3. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

Well I think this is a standard message from the Norton firewall, I have NIS2004 and as far as I know it always offers me the option to deny or allow the remote access attempt - I always deny it for safety. If you tick the 'always take this action' box on the alert the firewall should remember and block any future attempts from that address. I also tend to get a number of these alerts when I'm online, so I don't think it's unusual.

So it doesn't mean you need to disconnect from the net and reboot - as long as the attempt is denied then your firewall has done it's job and blocked out the access attempt - you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Maybe there is an option in the NIS configuration to automatically deny such attempts without prompting you, I don't know where that is offhand though.

hth :)

4. bluesfilm

bluesfilm

You might try using the search feature, someone has likely already asked and had that question answered. As for me me,... I'm not sure, so sorry; I can't be a more direct help.

5. LCalder865

Thanks for the answers. I was afraid to check the "Always take this action" box. I don't know very much about NIS.

Linda

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice