Remote system attemping to access your computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LCalder865

I keep getting a message for Norton Internet Security as follows: "A remote system is attemping to access your computer." It pops up about every minute to 5 minutes. What can I do about this.

Linda

LCalder865

I know this is probably very trivial to some but could someone please help me on this. I work online alot with the IRS and it is messing up the computer where I have to restart it very often. I have ran Ad-Aware and Spybot and it still does it.

Linda

Well I think this is a standard message from the Norton firewall, I have NIS2004 and as far as I know it always offers me the option to deny or allow the remote access attempt - I always deny it for safety. If you tick the 'always take this action' box on the alert the firewall should remember and block any future attempts from that address. I also tend to get a number of these alerts when I'm online, so I don't think it's unusual.

So it doesn't mean you need to disconnect from the net and reboot - as long as the attempt is denied then your firewall has done it's job and blocked out the access attempt - you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Maybe there is an option in the NIS configuration to automatically deny such attempts without prompting you, I don't know where that is offhand though.

hth :)

You might try using the search feature, someone has likely already asked and had that question answered. As for me me,... I'm not sure, so sorry; I can't be a more direct help.

LCalder865

Thanks for the answers. I was afraid to check the "Always take this action" box. I don't know very much about NIS.

Linda

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online