1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Troubleshooting on our network

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by meller, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meller

meller Thread Starter

Hi

The company that I currently work for has a server (windows server 2003) and roughly 16 desktops throughout our building (yes we're small).

For a while now, when one of employee's has had an issue, I'd use a remote desktop program (DameWare Mini Remote Control) to view what was happening and attempt to resolve the issue. Unless it was a hardware issue, other wise I'd be able to address most issues without having to walk to the other side of the building.

Long story short, we recently hired a new QA manager. He claims that remote trouble shooting is a very poor way to trouble shoot, identify, and fix problems. I was curious how true this is. According to his claims, if Access (or any other program) is having issues making their connection to the server, when I remote in, I could be re-establishing the connection, which won't give me the ability to replicate error/issue.

I've never heard of people saying remote troubleshooting is an extremely poor way to view issues/try to fix them. But I may be wrong.

Any advice (and do you have documentation/references to back it up regardless of if you agree/disagree).

Thank you for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice