1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Remote view cameras port forwarding

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dwhit1234, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

I have a dvr with 8 cameras. Im trying to set them up to view outside (and inside now, I ruined it) my home network. Port forward is not working for me. I have a noip.com account the ip address of the dvr my home IP address the port the dvr is on etc. It just seems im not doing something right.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your thread an appeal for sympathy or for help? If the latter you'll have to give us some information about what you've done and where things go bad.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused "and inside now, I ruined it" is setting a bad static IP address on the dvr. What IP configuration did you set and what is the Dhcp address range and LAN IP address of your router?

cwwozniak likes this.
  3. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

I copied the mac address and deleted the dvr from the router I manually created a reserved IP address of 110 added the mac address named the device and reconnected them. They are on my device list reserved with that address. On the dvr menu I changed the port from 80 to 88 and rtcp 34567 and (did not un tick the dhcp box hence my issue have since fixed) now I can view them internally . In the router I forwarded both ports. Internally entering 10.0.0.110:88 I was able to login and view the cameras. In noip.com I created a domain and host name linking to my external ip address and port 88. I can manage my router externally but it does not push through to my dvr.

Im looking for thoughts on why this may be. Port checker lists the port as open. Noip link is externalip:88.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My understanding now is that you are fine within your LAN, but the remote access through noip still does not work.

Have you tried remote access using the actual public IP address (IPaddress:88) to eliminate noip as a possible problem?

5. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

Yes it works the same. I can gain remote access to the router but it won't let me through to port 88. All that makes sense is a router issue. Being the port confirms open.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you actually checked to connect to externalip:88 with a device outside of your LAN? Some routers have problems with port forwarding when a device inside the LAN tries to connect to the public IP address.

TerryNet likes this.
  7. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

Yes I've used my phone on 4g and had a friend in another city try as well.

8. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

Yes the LAN works great now. Still no go even just using a browser to connect externally

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Very puzzling! Let's see a screen shot of the window on the router that shows the port forwarding, please.

If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

10. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

I uploaded the screen shot not sure if it will post

11. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

Here it is

Attached Files:

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And that means to forward port 88 to 88 and port 34567 to 34567 and they are both enabled?

I'm used to seeing more detail, as in my attached, but every router is a bit different.

Capture.PNG

13. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

Yes I know it's terrible. The internal address at the top is the camera's signifying 88 and 34567. Opened to anything requesting 88 and 34567. I have xfinity bringing a new router tomorrow. I'll update if it fixes my issue.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK. I cannot think of any more possible problems beyond the router itself.

15. Dwhit1234

Dwhit1234 Thread Starter

I truly appreciate your interest. Im no tech guru but I didn't think this could really be all that difficult. Again thanks so much

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice