1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Windows server becomes unreachable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gingerbbm, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingerbbm

gingerbbm Thread Starter

Dear all

Not sure if Networking is the right category for this, but here goes...

We have several Windows Server 2003 boxes in a remote hosting centre that we connect to via Remote Desktop Connection from our offices. At the end of each working day, it's usual practice simply to close the RDC window, and in the morning we can reconnect to the same session and quickly resume working. But on a regular basis, one of the boxes (let's call it W2) becomes unreachable by morning, as in, it's unpingable and to all intents and purposes no longer on the internet.

To resolve this we can use Terminal Services Manager on one of the other remote boxes (let's call it W3) to connect to the problem box and reset the session. But we can only do this from W3 - none of the other remote machines can see W2 at this point in time. When the session has been reset, W2 once again becomes reachable remotely.

The Event Log shows up various suggestions but none of them are conclusive. About a week ago I had this, with a Source of "TermDD", which I thought looked promising:

Event ID 50
    Error
    The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

But I've not had it since and the strage behaviour has continued.

I've also had messages with a Source of "W32Time" that go like this and suggest the moment at which the disconnect occurs:

The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data from time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|172.16.250.10:123->207.46.197.32:123).

Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from manually configured peer time.windows.com,0x1 after 8 attempts to contact it. This peer will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a new peer with this DNS name.

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Most recently, with a Source of "Service Control Manager" I had:

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service has been idle for 15 minutes, it will be shut down.

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation.

It's quite possible that these are all acceptable behaviour, but I'm not sure what to look at next.

W2 is the only one of the set of remote boxes that is accessible from anywhere; all the others are locked to the company's IP address range. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this.

Many thanks
    Stuart

2. gingerbbm

gingerbbm Thread Starter

Is bumping frowned upon around here? Apologies if so...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice