1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Workstation Inventory solutions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by psych0naut, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych0naut

psych0naut Thread Starter

Hi. I'm currently looking for solutions that would allow me to maintain a remote inventory of all the machines on our network. Ideally this would involve a small server component that could be pushed out to each workstation. Perhaps a login script could check for the presence of the server and check the version if present and then install or upgrade it as the case may be. This component would ideally have a small footprint and be hidden from the user so that he/she could not disable or uninstall it. It should track system hardware and software, including licenses and OS security patches. A few additional questions I'd ask about prospective software:

- Can reports be automatically generated in other formats so that they can be imported into other applications. Specifically, we use Remedy Action Request System for Trouble Tickets and Service Requests and also for PC Inventory. It would be nice if Belarc could generate reports for each machine in a format that would enable the data to automatically be entered into the appropriate fields in the Remedy database. Alternately, or in addition, perhaps importation into an MS Access database which could be searched based on various fields such as user login, machine name, etc would be quite useful.

- An extremely useful feature for you to integrate would be a database of the latest Microsoft Security patches and fixes against which the patches on each machine would be checked and a report generated listing which hotfixes each machine requires. Links to the appropriate Microsoft download site for each patch would be icing on the cake.

So far I'm looking at:

- Belmanage from Belarc
    - Tometa Cool Info 2001
    - ADMLink Network Inventory Console
    - Hard Info 2002 Professional

Thanks in advance for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice