1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remotely access network via dial-up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kbfresh, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbfresh

kbfresh Thread Starter

I wanted to know if anyone could help me get this working. I have a Windows XP Pro computer set up on my home network. My home network has a broadband connection which is shared via a router.

I would like to be able to dial into my XP Pro computer and remotely use my broadband connection and be able to access shared files on my Windows XP Pro machine when I am out of town visiting my parents. My Mom has a Windows ME computer which I would be using to access my Windows XP Pro Machine through dialup.

Is this possible? If so, how do I get this set up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

If I understand your question,
    First if you could access it via Dial-Up you wouldn't be able to make use of you7r broadband, as your Dial-Up connection to it would be the weak link in the connection.

Second, if you are on Broadband (DSL etc) what phone # would you dial to get to it?

Sorry if I don't understand correctly, but I don't think it's doable. :(

Welcome to TSG anyway! :D

3. coulterp

coulterp

It seems to me you could use something like VNC (RealVNC, UltraVNC, etc) to remotely access files in whichever direction you wanted assuming you had it correctly configured each end. But trying to dial into the XP Pro and then use :confused: its broadband doesn't sound like a goer.

If the ME box goes on-line over a dial-up you only need to know the IP address of the remote end to be able to get access to the XP Pro box.

Have a look at http://www.realvnc.com/ see if that is of any interest.

4. jghost5

jghost5

You can set up a 56k office connect modem and others to dial into your home network to file share and you can also set it up to use the broad band connection you have at home. As stated in a earlier post your speeds would depend on the 56k line as opposed to the broad band connection. Still it's a handy tool since you would only need to use the one ISP conection instead of needing a dial up while on the road, if you travel long distances just get a 800- number to your home network. You can use the connection and file share with your home network, too cool!

5. jghost5

jghost5

Also wanted to elaborate on the vnc post. I've used ultra vnc on broad band connection through our corporate network and it's pretty slow although do-able. I'm not sure I'd ever want to deal with it on dial-up!
    If you have some money to burn get Net-Op, it's alot faster and secure than most of the vnc-flavors out there.

6. kbfresh

kbfresh Thread Starter

I am aware that if I dial into my network I wouldn't have broadband speed. I don't see it as a problem to connect at dialup speed to my network and the internet. I will mainly be checking e-mail and some web browsing, no big downloads or anything.

I would dial in using my home phone number (assuming that's a possibility).

Thanks for the response.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You can't do it with XP unless you can find some sort of third party RAS server, otherwise it's doable with win2k, winNT, or win98se all of which have DUN RAS server capabilities. As far as I know, no XP versions shipped with a DUN RAS server.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to access files on the computer, you might also try a VPN connection. Again, performance would be pretty bad.

jghost5 - Agree with your evaluation of VNC. It works but it much slower that almost everything else I've tried. And you were doing it on a corporate network which should be faster than the Internet. Another option is Radmin which is fast and relatively inexpensive.

9. 10forcash

10forcash

You could always use dial - up web access, then, assuming you know the IP of the remote site, use Net-Op, or UltraVNC to access the PC, there are also VPN client / server programmes available as shareware which will reduce the bandwidth overhead of a VNC client / server. bear in mind that not all broadband connections have fixed IP addresses, also the 'A' in ADSL stands for Asyncronous, that is, the download speed (to the ADSL connected PC) is much higher than the upload speed. If you were connecting remotely, this would be the reverse, your download speed from the remote PC would be up to ten times slower than your upload speed.
    Cheers,
    10forcash

10. jghost5

jghost5

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice