1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remotely set up RDP secpol? psexec?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PatrickBateman, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman Thread Starter

Hello all, I have a question about setting up Remote Desktop on PCs in our company. For most of the PCs on our network Remote Desktop is disabled by decree of the management. When I do need access to a machine I'll use psexec to enable the service then I'll disable it when I'm done. Some of the PCs are accessed by normal (non-admin) users on the network using Remote Desktop - we're looking for a way to remotely edit the list of users that can access the PCs that way - it'll be one specific user allowed per machine so a group policy doesn't seem to be the right way to go... Basically I'm looking for a way to remotely edit a machine's local secpol, specifically the "Allow logon through terminal services" setting.
    I found this MS article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457125.aspx that mentions the SeNetworkLogonRight but I don't see that in the registry... I must be missing something stupid here - there has to be an easy way to do what I'm trying to do... Does anyone know what that easy way is?
    This is the command I use to enable remote desktop - it seems like something similar could be used to edit the userlist? Argh!
    psexec \\machine reg add "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0

-Oh, it's an Active Directory Domain, all the PCs are WinXP - Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice