1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removable Hard Drive Availability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyber19583, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyber19583

cyber19583 Thread Starter

at the university level, is it possible to use a removable hard drive(20 gb) when the system that is used, uses the c drive ( main info), the d drive ( a zip drive ) and the e drive ( CD-rom ). when the driver software is successfully installed and the device is properly hooked up, a system error pops up that says that the drive ( which the 20gb) is looking for (d:\), is not available ( it is obviously used by the zip ). when i restart, the system goes back to the default settings of (d) not being available. Also, i tried to go into the device manager (settings of the particular device in the attempt to change the drive letter....that's a no go also....upon rebooting, default again comes back. Is there a solution to this conflict. kindly advise.

Thanks with a Star :)

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

removeable, or external hard drive?? I am confused here ! ...Rhett

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

Is the 20 gig partitioned and formatted? It won't work until it is.

4. cyber19583

the 20gb is external and it is formatted and partitioned ( i use it on my home desktop )

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Ok, so how is it connected then? Parallel port? USB? What OS is on the office machine?

The ZIP drive is internal?

6. cyber19583

usb connection.........win 98 o/s...............zip drive is internal.........also, i even checked the lastdrive in the config.sys file ( its Z )

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, what SHOULD happen is that the USB drive should get the next letter in line - in your case that would be F.

But you are saying that drive D gets killed? The ZIP drive stops working? Or did you just mean that the USB drive is not D?

Last drive is a good place to check, but do you have TweakUI in your control panel? If so, go in there and make sure that all drive letters are turned on.

Oh - are you on a network? If so, the network may be taking drive F and causing you trouble.

8. cyber19583

usb wants to be utilized as D ( where the zip is...the zip does work properly )............i do not have TweakUI in control panel..........AND yes the computer is part of a network ( it's in a computer lab ( is that a resolvable conflict? )

9. LarryCore

LarryCore

A few more questions...

Does the ZIP work when the USB drive is there, on D? That was what I was asking. If so, why do you think the USB wants D?

The network - what drive letter(s) is used by it, when you check in My Computer?

10. cyber19583

i stand corrected........the zip drive is disabled( i checked the Bios setup) and it cannot be altered due to a computer lab password.

Thanks anyway with a star :)

11. LarryCore

LarryCore

That last reply confused me... are you still looking for help?

Do you mean that the ZIP doesn't work at all?

12. cyber19583

zip drive is ok but it is just not available for use in the lab. i tried to access the setup (cmos) but could not due to system password. my intention there was to attempt to initiate the "auto" command for the particular drive and/or see what drive the zip was/is displaying.

13. LarryCore

LarryCore

So, drive D does not exist on the computer then?

If it is locked out, that certainly could explain the trouble with the other drive - the people who set it up may have set restrictions on the system.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice