1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removable Hard Drive Racks- which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcpaul2, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcpaul2

pcpaul2 Thread Starter

I want to install two hard drive racks so I can easily interchange the drives, but I need some help on understanding the various types of IDE drives. For example, what constitutes an "ultra" HD and what do the UDMA 33/66/100 classifications designate. Most important, which HD's require an 80 pin cable? Thanks

2. chakorules

chakorules

I guess I would answer that question with how OFTEN are you planning on removing the trays from the DOCK? If you plan on doing this alot, I would get some metal trays of some sort. It really doesn't matter in my opinion what kind. A rack is a rack. Get a rack that is rated for ATA133 and you'll be covered in most cases.

I'd say that 99.9% of hard drives made today are 80pin hard drives, so you have nothing to worry about there, just get any rack.

I've posted this picture before, but here are some racks I used. They are cheap plastic ones and work just fine, except I broke two of them jamming them in, but at the cost, they are cheap to replace.

Attached Files:

3. catlady13

catlady13

HI .. I used to use those things a lot .. took em in and out all the time but then they "croaked" .. am hoping it is just dirty contacts but I know it isn't the hard drives because when I hard wired them in they were fine.. just to warn you ..

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

"interchange" why do you want to do that ?

5. pcpaul2

pcpaul2 Thread Starter

There are lots and lots of reasons to change drives. Even though you can program multiple OS's on a single PC (which my business requires me to access), doing so presents "ghosting" problems. Also, physically removing the hard drive which contains a ghost &/or data backup is the only sure way to keep it safe. It is also an easy way to recover data from customer pc's that have crashed motherboards or CPU's.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

pcpaul2,
    If you are just doing this to change OSes, the racks are not that important.
    I use these. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-121-101&depa=0
    I switch between WinXP, WinME and Win98SE. There is a slave drive perminently installed inside the case to be a "common" area to all of the OSes, if I would need to share something between them.

If you are using them for data storage (back-ups) like in a server situation, where you need to remove the drive from the building overnight, then you may want to look into SCSI drives. They have very similar looking racks but they are hot-swapable, meaning that they can be removed with out shutting down the computer.

7. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Reading the initial message , sounded like you only wanted to swap OS's which can simply be achieved with a software boot loader or change the boot sequence in the BIOS (no tray needed).

But for safeguarding a backup & connect other hard disks a tray is very useful.

The ghosting problem I don't understand :D
    Excellent piece of software by the way.

8. catlady13

catlady13

PC Paul by ghosting problems do you mean problems with the program GHOST? Or are you referring to something else . You have me very curious now .. thank you ..:)

9. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

The removable drive caddies I've seen are drive RPM rated. You could not put a hi speed 10,000 rpm drive in a caddy only rated for a 5,400 rpm.

Beyond that, go for it. This is a solution I have suggested many times for backups, multiple boots different O/s's, Children wanting to use parents computer and so forth.

As a backup device it is perfect as the spare hard disk & caddy can be stored off site for total protection.

With something like Ghost or Drive Image you have total backup.

hth

Ceri

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice