1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removable hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanoka, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

First off let me say that I have not been involved in IT for at least 3 yrs and I know that there have been many changes....that said I am having a problem with a DA IT person in this office but before I can argue with him I need to know if it is possible.

OK my question is : Can you take a hard drive and put it into a case and turn it into a removable hard drive. I know from 3 yrs ago that a standard onboard hd was one thing and a removable was another and one could not become the other, he is stating that you can..........am I wrong in thinking that he is full of s**t

Thanks

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes you can do that.

3. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Do you need a special HD and case to be able to do this and do you need a special tower. Do you know if it is cheaper to buy the removable standalone or buy a case for an existing HD

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Not a special HDD or Tower but your case your talking about usually is called an Enclosure.

Here's some here http://www.alibaba.com/productsearch/Hdd_Enclosure.html

I have used them but if your thinking of going external the I would get the ones made for the job.......I mean get an external HDD.

5. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

The purpose of the removable drive was for security reason. IMO it would have been preferable to purchase on HDD intended for that purpose instead of reworking one after the fact, just doesn't seem logical to do it backwards when they were purchased new to begin with.
    Thank you for your reply's

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Dustyjay, I thing the mobile rack is what he has in mind but this guy does everything backwards. Eg: new build and it only has 192 ram and an 80 gig HDD and keeps saying that it is low on virtual memory. So far I have had to install my drivers, map to the network and install my my printers

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    DOes the Motherboard have onboard Video? 192Mb Ram by todays standards is low indeed. It sounds like you actually may have 256Mb installed but that onboard Video is using 64Mb of that.

9. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

According to my hardward list I have a VIA/S3G unichrome video card and my mobo is from Micro Star International. My audio card is realtek. Properties says that I only have 192 ram, but I agree that I must have 256 and yes for a new system that was just build this is a shame.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice