1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removable Harddrives for different OS's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mathew Hall, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mathew Hall

Mathew Hall Thread Starter

COuld you please give me some information on how I would find out about installing a removable harddrive on m computer, so that I can have different operating systems loaded on each hard drive.

I have started a computer traineeship so would appreciate any help even finding other sites to search on.
    Ta
    Mat:D

2. DaveSS

DaveSS

hmmm,

Interesting. Something like XP freaks over this.

I've done this with ME with only a few difficulties. Drivers for sound cards and Video etc cause the most problems as your OS will need them each time you boot into a new PC.

I also found the OS slows down quite a bit after a while of swapping and changing.

Linux is a good OS for swapping around

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use removable hard disk drawers on all my systems, very handy. Right now, ComputerGate is having a sale on their hard disk drawers, they're about $8/ea if you buy three or more. They're pretty slick, you drop a 3.5" IDE drive in the drawer, and you can pop them in and out in a flash. :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may misunderstand what he's trying to do, because I've had no difficulties with any O/S with removable drawers. Remember, he's putting the O/S on the drawer, so as long as he always boots it on the same hardware, the O/S doesn't know it's in a drawer.

5. DaveSS

DaveSS

Apologies, I took it as he was using the one HD OS on different PC's, not different OS's on the one PC

6. Mathew Hall

Mathew Hall Thread Starter

Thanks alot for your help, that's just the advice I was looking for. I will follow up about the removable hard drives from Computer Gate.
    Good to know they are so affordable.
    ta
    Mat

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice