Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Removable Storage Devices not working

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  qldit 
#1 ·
Up until recently, it was a simple, straightforward procedure to
transfer files to and from a memory stick or digital camera via any USB
port on my desktop. The stick or camera appear in Windows Explorer under Control Panel/Portable Media Device. Since installing SP2, however, when I attempt to access their files, nothing shows up, and when I attempt to move or copy files to them, a STOP symbol is displayed. Other USB devices work normally, and both the memory stick and camera work normally on my laptop and appear as removable disks, as they did on my previous desktop.

Following advice so far: fully updated system (including drivers), virus and spyware checked, disabled suspicious-looking services--which has not resulted in any other problem. What next?
=============================
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GLASER
System Manufacturer INTELR
System Model AB60
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2605 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2605 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/11/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name GLASER\Bill
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 469.55 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.83 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome. I'm wondering about this possibility:

Controlling block storage devices on USB buses
What does controlling block storage devices on USB buses do?
This feature provides the ability to set a registry key that will prevent write operations to USB block storage devices, such as memory sticks. When this registry key is enabled, the devices function only as read-only devices. You can implement this setting as part of a security strategy to prevent users from transporting data using these devices.

Who does this feature apply to?
• Users who do not want data to be written from their computer to a USB storage device.

• IT professionals who want to implement organization controls over the use of USB block storage devices

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx

#3 ·
Candy, I never heard about that new Registry entry. :)

I don't think that's the cause of this problem, since Chula can't read the files on the devices either.

Try this little raindance:

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

#4 ·
Thank you, gentlemen for your replies!

After being away from home for three days, I was eager to try your suggestions. First, it was surprising to see that the registry key mentioned in the Microsoft article does not exist. Secondly, it was disappointing that, after uninstalling the items listed in Device Manager as directed, there is no change. My removable storage devies are still not working.

#5 ·
G'day Chaps, I am really interested in what you find to fix this problem, I have come across it several times now and each time ended up having to reinstall WXP without SP2. This problem is not only with flashdrives in some odd machines but it affects all kinds of other peripheral things. Sometimes a rollback prior to SP2 fixes the problem but more often doesn't.
I suspect it is associated with "driver verification" or whatever it is called, but usually cannot fix with new drivers.
I stuffed a couple of machines loading that SP2 before I realised it was the culprit.
I advise small business people to switch to Linux now, that avoids the problem. (so far!)
Cheers, qldit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.