1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removable Storage Drivers missing, unresponsive card slots....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angrypcowner, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angrypcowner

angrypcowner Thread Starter

:eek:I do not know too much about the clock work of computers. I recently had my computer wiped cleaned of virus's and bugs, and I believe he simply reinstalled my Windows XP for my hp pavilion a255c computer. Its working fine, except for the fact that this computer came equipped with SmartMedia slot, CompactFlash I/II, MMC/SD and Memory Stick slots on the front as well as what looks to a a firewire port to the right and an additional USB port.

When I plugged in my SD card AND Compact Flash cards, nothing happened- the little light indicating any kinda of activity didn't come on, nothing about removable storage or labeled drivers popped up in my computer- I checked device manager to see if it listed the drivers and all it lists are the CD drives and the floppy drive. It as if my removable storage ports and drivers are simply non-exsistent to my computer. ZERO activity when plugged in, no records of any other drivers then the ones mentioned while I should have at least 3 or 4 more there I believe. I have tried their troubleshooting tips and nothing has worked. It's like my computer doesn't even have these ports or drivers.... the device manager is useless because nothing is there besides my CD drives and the floppy. It use to work before my computer was fixed, they were at the very least appearing somewhere.

Any ideas what I should do? Like I said, the little light doesnt even come on when either cards are entered into their appropriate ports.... this is a pain. I thought this would be working after my computer was fixed,but these things simply vanished from my computers existence... Any help would be awesome. I don't want to spend too much money for some guy to fix this if it could be some what simple. Or should I have the hp techs or microsoft techs take control? UUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

2. angrypcowner

And I've already looked in the driver recovery thing, and it isn't listed there either!

3. satanicguardian

satanicguardian

Try going into your bios menu, browse through and see if it detects them in there, if they are shown there it is merely a problem of getting your OS to recognise that they are there, and if they are enabled in your BIOS i see no reason why your os doesn't auto detect them and install them

4. angrypcowner

Is the BIOS menu in the same are? Or is that in boot up?

5. angrypcowner

I just checked my BIOS and all that is listed there is the Floppy A.... and I checked when I rebooted by pressing F1, thats where it should have been listed, yeah?? What would the next step be? Could it simply be that the cord/wires aren't connected inside the computer?

6. satanicguardian

satanicguardian

Yeah, check they are hooked up, i can't see any reason why it wouldn't detect them otherwise :eek:

7. Hughv

Hughv

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice