1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removal of MX Linux 18.3 and install Windows 8

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Debbielynn, Aug 24, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Debbielynn

Debbielynn Thread Starter

Can someone please help me. I want to uninstall mx linux from a laptop that was given to me and install windows 8. I was given a HP PAVILION DV6000. it has MX Linux on it. Please help do not like MX Linux.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There are several model numbers of the HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop, so we need to determine which one you have.
    What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?
    What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

It appears the dv6000 series laptops were introduced in 2006 - 2007, so I doubt yours originally came with Windows 8.
    Where did you get your Windows 8 disc, and how do you plan to activate it after it's installed?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. Debbielynn

Debbielynn Thread Starter

it has dv6000 and underneath it says DV6113US. SN CNF644558G PN RG272UA#ABA It originally came with Windows XP I believe. The laptop was given to me with MX Linux already on it. So if you have any other suggestions other then Windows 8 or 8.1 please let me know Thank you

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP Pavilion dv6113us Media Center Notebook PC originally came with Windows XP Media Center Edition.
    Because it's more than 10 years old, HP no longer has a support site for it.
    That means there's no downloadable devices drivers or any hardware specs or any other information for it.

You're wasting your time with trying to install Windows 8 or 8.1 in it.
    Even if you could, there's no known downloadable device drivers for it.
    And it's my guess its hardware is too slow to run Windows 8 or 8.1.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another Linux based distribution. Puppy Linux or Lubuntu are my suggestions to try. You can try either as a "Live CD" to see if you like it and if the hardware handles it before you go to the effort to install.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is good advise. Your laptop is too old to run any modern operating system. A very "Light" version of linux is about all that hardware can handle.
    FWIW I just install MX and find it very easy to use; even connects effortlessly to the windows network and shares files, etc [once the share is setup] My only complaint [and it is common with just about any linux distro] is that any drive other than the system drive is not mounted on boot. My kid [linux nerd] fixed it last night to mount the data drive on boot.

7. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Have to agree here. Me, I haven't used Windows for years, period. Any lightweight Linux distro will do everything most people want - I can especially recommend Puppy Linux!....you have to get used to a different way of doing things, that's all.

Bottom line, if you want to run a modern version of Windows, you need far newer hardware.....and you've got to be prepared to spend a bit of money on it. Frank summed it up in that one sentence; you're wasting your time trying to install anything other than XP on there. And anybody with any sense gave up on that idea long ago.....

Personally, I wouldn't give you the time of day for Windoze; the very thought of trying to use it now makes me physically sick. But MyCrudSoft have made a fortune out of conning people/forcing them to use it (and turned it into an art-form, too), so the majority of folks don't have any say in the matter, especially at work.

----------------------------------------------------

@ crjdriver:-

"My only complaint [and it is common with just about any linux distro] is that any drive other than the system drive is not mounted on boot."

That, right there my friend, is one of the main reasons why Linux is more secure than Windoze by design. Yes, you can set any distro up to auto-mount all your drives at boot.....but in the process of doing so, you're laying your entire system open to attack the moment you boot. Why take that risk?

It also sums up the difference between the mind-sets of a Windows user compared to a Linux user; convenience above security. How hard is it to click on a drive to mount it, hm?

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Debbielynn is a first-time poster who hasn't replied back in 30 days, so any further comments and advice from us is likely a waste of time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice