1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove 2000 Install XP ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Katmandu, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

I just got a system in that has 2000 on it. I want to install XP on it instead.

Do I need to completely reformat the HD to get rid of 2000 and prep it for XP ?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have XP Home yes, if you have XP Pro well then you could do an update but you will always get a better cleaner OS from a clean install.

3. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

I have XP Pro I want to use.

The laptop does have a fresh install of 2000 on it and not much else.

So this will accept an Upgrade of XP Pro then ?? :confused:

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it will and if that is a relatively clean Win 2000 install as you say, then it will go fine.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The XP Pro disc has to be an Upgrade disc to do an inplace upgrade.
    Just do the clean install and call it good.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can do an upgrade with a full disk on 2000 or XP, but instead of booting to cd, do it in Windows.

7. mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

I just upgraded my win 2000 pro to win xp home and lost all files and programs. Are the programs and files still on HD? During the upograde, I said to keep existing file system. Please help!!!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you upgrade Win 2000 in Windows or boot to the cd to do it? Are you certain your files are not there still? Did you look in My Documents and places where they should be?

9. mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

I upgraded from the boot. I also put it on the same volume. The problem is I didn't read enough. I di find the files but my Microsoft office programs won't work. I know I did this wrong. I acn't uninstall it now. The osuninst.exe file is missing. Microsoft support says that is neded to uninstall XP, but if it isn't there, where do I find it?? This is my fault I know, but I just need to leave it on Win2K Any help?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You've already updated. Now you're having system errors. Even if some uninstall routine existed and managed to run to try to remove XP, you'll likely end up with an unstable system. You'll probably need to format and start over.

11. mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

I guess I can keep XP. Now, how do I get rid of WIN2k to free up space on the HD? Aslo, why doesn't my Microsoft Office applications work? It says Microsoft Office XP edition.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you performed an upgrade, there is no Windows 2000 to remove. The files that needed to be replaced were.

Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows are two completely independent products. Although they have similar names (Office 2000, Windows 2000, Office XP, Windows XP), the version of Office installed can obviously be different than the version of Windows.

If you just upgraded to Windows XP and didn't also install a separate Office upgrade, your version of Office hasn't changed. Do you not know what version you had before? If it was XP, it'll still be XP now as well.

13. mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

It is definitely Office XP. When i boot in Windows 2000, the Offcie XP programs are there in the start menu. But when I boot in Windows XP, there the progams aren't here. It is almost like I have to tell Windows XP where to find all my programs.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Obviously something went awry with your upgrade. If it were my computer, I'd start over. Your applications, certainly Office XP, should work just fine after the upgrade without a problem.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice