Remove and replace USB mouse

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigbruce

I recently purchased a "kluge" computer system for my wife when her old HP system died. Everything seems to be working well, eccept that this computer has only four USB ports, two in the back and two in the front (actually five - there's a Ethernet cable connection, too). Both the keyboard and the mouse are connected by USB connections as well as the speakers. When I add my wireless adapter card, I've occupied all four USB connections. But, the HP All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier also requires a USB connection!
I tried removing the USB Mouse and driver and replacing it with a Non-USB mouse (plugs into the green jack in the back), but I've had no success.
Is there a way to do this? Or, is there some other way to get around my
shortage of USB connections?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can buy a USB hub to add more ports. Plug it in and connect your HP printer and wireless adapter into it.

Whenever I switched from USB mouse to PS/2 , or reverse. Did not uninstall anything. Only time I had to do anything was when I first used USB then had to let the computer install USB drivers.

Switching while computer is on usually doesn't work.Just turn off computer, unplug USB and plug in PS/2., then turn computer back on. Mouse type should recognized by BIOS.

Frank4d's sugggestion of buying a 4 port hub is a good one anyway. You can usually find them for under $10.00.

My old backup Gateway had two in adapters inback. Mouse and USB wireless in one; keyboard, printer and USB camera in the other, This left the front ports free to be used for Memory sticks, digital cameras,etc. Could be power/conflict problems with all that plugged in though if the USB is 1.1.

Finally broke down and bought a USB PCI card with 4+1 - 2.0 USB sockets. Cost about $15.00 and easy to install. Mouse and keyboard are in the original ports, everything else is in the PCI card. Some day I will connect the front ports to the internal socket and have 2.0 on them. There are to many things coming out that won't work with USB 1.1.

bigbruce

Thanks all for the inputs. Tried turning off the computer and switching mouses (mice?) but computer still won't recognize the PS/2 mouse. Looks like the USB Hub is the answer.

Only other thing I can think of is sort of wayout there.

Some BIOS' you have to enable a use Legacy option to be able to use USB keyboards and mice, but don't remember this turning of the ability to still use PS/2 coponents.

You might want to check the BIOS to see if there is an individual selection for type of keyboard or mouse.

Are you using an actual PS/2 mouse, or a USB mouse with an adapter?
If the mouse wasn't designed to be used with both USB and PS/2 interfaces, it won't work with the adapter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online