1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove CD Drive from Dell Inspiron Options Bay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bazeel, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bazeel

bazeel Thread Starter

Hi.
    I have just been given an old Dell Inspiron 3000 that used to run Win 95.
    The OS was removed (I don't know whay or how) and in order for me to reinstall Win 95 I need to replace the CD drive with the floppy drive so that I can at least boot using a bootable floppy.
    How do I remove the CD drive so that I can install the floppy drive? The manual refers to the 'On Line docs' which of course I cannot access.
    Cheers and thanks.

2. XP-1800

XP-1800

Does the motherboard have a floppy drive socket on it, and is there a 'bay' for the drive to be installed in ? It is a smaller size than the CD drive.
    If so,
    Switch off computer, open case, then install the floppy drive, connect up the floppy cable to the drive and motherboard, plug in the power connector to the drive.
    Switch on computer, go into the BIOS and check that booting from the floppy drive is enabled, and let windows load.
    If the green (or whatever colour) on the floppy drive stays on, then switch off the computer, open case, and take out the cable from the drive and reverse it and plug back in.
    I think that is basically it, but others may well have other ideas on how to do it properly.......:)

3. bazeel

bazeel Thread Starter

Hi XP-1800. Thanks for the quick reply. This is a laptop and the portable floppy drive fits into the space that is vacated by the portable CD drive when removed from the 'options bay' (term used in the DELL manual). No cables came with it.
    Cheers and thanks.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi bazeel

Most Dell laptops have a latch on the bottom. Just slide the spring loaded latch over and pull out the cdrom drive. The floppy drive will just slide in its place.

Also"NOTES: The diskette drive can be used externally by connecting it to the parallel connector on the I/O panel if you have the appropriate cable."

The Dell site says if you want to order the cable so you can use the cdrom and the floppy disk at the same time then contact Dell.

5. bazeel

bazeel Thread Starter

Hi Lurker1.
    Thanks - it worked like a charm.
    Cheers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!