Remove Chromium.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gorper99

About 3 weeks ago chromium installed itself on my laptop(win 10) How do I get rid of it?I checked everywhere and it is not listed anywhere.

etaf

Wayne
Is this the mailware or web browser

I would suggest you run the free version of malwarebytes
malwarebytes Download and Run

Note Malwaybytes will remove a lot of cookies, and so any passwords for websites, may be removed.
Make sure you know all your internet usernames and password for anysite you use for accessing email, forums, newsites and/or bloggs, etc

If Malwarebytes is not installed follow these instructions:
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup-????? the ???? will be a number like 2.1.8.1057 and show the version of malwarbytes. Follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
  • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • A trial verion of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
  • Click Finish.

Now Malwarebytes will load , once on the screen - it will open in Dashboard view.

• You may see a "fix Now" icon at the top - if so click on this ICON, and the program will update the definitions.
  • If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
  • if not, then on the screen you will see "database version" , and towards the right "Update now >>" click to update.
  • At the bottom of the screen will be a large icon "Scan Now >" click to start the scan.
  • The Scan will take a long while to run , so be very patient.
  • When the scan is complete , make sure that everything is set to "Quarantine", and click Apply Actions.
  • Reboot your computer if prompted

If you did not deselect the trial version, Malwarebytes will appear in the system tray ( Bottom left normally ) and will be providing realtime protection, however, this will end when the trial period is over.
Unless you are going to purchase the full version, I would "end the free trial version" in "dashboard" view - at the bottom of the screen , you have an option "end trial"
click there.
Now malwarebytes "realtime protection", will not load each time the PC starts.

I recommend that Malwarebytes is run frequently. This timescale depends on how often you use the PC, and browse on the internet. I usually suggest weekly or following any heavy Webbrowsing Session.

Please Post back if you are still having issues

Last edited:

gorper99

Web Browser.When I turn my laptop on,it loads and covers about 3/4 of my screen.Do not see how malwarebytes will remove this.I have superanti spyware program installed and run it every day.This is a program that will have to be uninstalled.I go to Programs/Uninstall and it is not listed.

etaf

Wayne
Have you uninstalled from Add and Remove Programs ?

I have had Chromiam appear on a PC before - its an Open Source browser using the same code as Googles Chrome

I seem to remember it appeared as a PUP and malwarebytes / ADWCleaner removed for me
However, it maybe worth moving to the virus forum

have you also looked in the startups?

Gr3iz

Mark
Is the Uninstall.exe (or something similar) found in the program's directory (folder)?

If you right-click it from the Start menu, do you have an Uninstall option?

etaf

Wayne
AdwCleaner Download and Run
Download Adware Cleaner and save it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it {"downloads" is often the default}.
Take care NOT to click on any ad, like from PC Optimizer Pro. The correct link is the button labeled "Download Now @Bleeping Computer".

Close your browser and double click the AdwCleaner icon on your desktop or the location you saved the file to {"downloads" is often the default}.
  • Click on the Scan button, accept any prompts that appear, and allow it to run.
    It may take several minutes to complete.
  • When it is done, the Scan button will be dim down, and it will wait for you to make any exceptions to its suggested removals. Don't make any exceptions or uncheck anything
  • Click on the Cleaning button, accept any prompts that appear, and allow the system to Reboot.
  • You will then be presented with the report. Copy & Paste it into a reply here.
  • If you lose track of the log, it is saved in this folder C:\AdwCleaner\
    The filename will be adwcleaner[xx].txt, where [xx] will be S1, or S2, etc. whichever filename is newest.

I have found that adwcleaner actually needs to be run a few times ( Three usually ) to fully clean out the malware this tool can detect

Please make sure you post a reply here for each log created

plodr

Liz
When I turn my laptop on,it loads and covers about 3/4 of my screen.
So it is loading at startup.
Follow this
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-control-which-apps-and-services-run-startup
and first right click and select Open file location so you know where it is hiding. Write down the full path.
Also note the date when it was installed so you can figure out how it got on your computer.

Next click Disable. Then go back to the path you've found and see if you can remove it from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online