Remove Compaq Partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wogus

My Compaq computer comes from the factory with a small partition on the C: drive of a little under 3Gb that serves as some kind of system save. I know I don't need the partition to boot the computer and would like to remove it. Since I have dual HDD's on this computer, the partition is E:

I'm running Windows XP and found some logical drive/partition control functions using the following navigation:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management ... and clicking on the E: drive (partition).

A right-click menu shows things like "Delete Logical Drive" and "Format".

I would like to remove the E: partition on the C: drive and recover the space without damaging/modifying the existing files. Then I would like to "wipe" the D: drive completely clean (like it's been reformatted), leaving me with a totally unpartitioned C: drive and a blank, formatted D: drive.

Can I do all this from this control panel, or is there a better way to do what I want to accomplish??

All help appreciated!!

Not sure that's a good idea as compaq stores the bios setup utility on that partition. If deleted you will not be able to access the bios.

S

Slithy Tove

As Brian stated, Compaqs (at least older ones) have their diagnostics and BIOS settings stored on a partition on the system drive. However, it is normally hidden and does not have a letter assigned to it. It was also way, way smaller than 3Gb (more like 3Mb). Also, if you had a Compaq "diag" diskette you could use it to change BIOS settings or even recreate the "diag" partition. I think it would be worth your time to investigate what your extra partition really is - through Compaq (as painful as that will be). Always read the instructions which came with your machine first - they just might have your answer.

Brooks

Some Compaq computers come with a restore disk instead of a copy of Windows the restore disk actuall has a utility on it that points to a partition on the hard drive. If you delete the partition and you ever need to restore Windows, you won't be able to without that partition. I would be very careful about deleting this partition.

Wogus

Okay... Major update to my situation.

Over the weekend I chucked my Compaq case and motherboard and installed a new motherboard, CPU and video card into a new case, along with all the old drives from my Compaq (two HDD's, CD ROM, CD-RW and floppy).

Now... can I safely do a clean install of Windows XP (I have a full WinXP disk, not an upgrade CD) on to my C:?

I would like to convert to NTFS as well as remove that Compaq partition. Once that's done, I want to wipe the smaller, secondary HDD completely. How do you suggest I proceed?

Thanks again for your help!

Brooks

Ahh the best solution.

Boot from the XP disk, and let it do the formatting for you. When it gets to the point where it asks if you about the partitions, have it delete them all and then create and install on the first drive in ntfs. Don't bother with the second drive at this point, do that through XP after the install.

S

Slithy Tove

Fire up the XP install - it should see your CDR okay. At the beginning of the installation the imbedded disk manager will come alive and let you do whatever you want with your disk before continuing the install. Think about your strategy ahead of time and know how you want to partition and format. Delete everything which currently exists and execute your new plan - all as part of the install - it should be very easy.

Good luck and let us know.

Edit/addition:Brooks posted while I was scratching and thinking. His counsel is always better than mine.

Wogus

(Steepling fingers) Eeeexcellent...

This is good news.

I need to think this through a little bit, but I feel a plan coming together. A friend of mine suggested that I install XP onto a small partition on the C: - one just large enough for Windows itself and a little breathing room, say 5 Gb or so - and then put everything else on the remaining disk space. The theory being that the OS is "isolated", keeping the data "safe" on it's own partition. My copious use of quote marks is to denote my suspicion of this whole theory.

Any thoughts on this?

Not so much keeping the OS safe as safeguarding your programs and data, even if the OS gets trashed you can format the C drive and reload with no program data loss.

Brooks

We run the computers at work on one large partition, but the users have a home folder on a server to save docs into. One reason he would suggest this, is that if something hoses the partition, you will still have personal documents and files available.

One thing I would do, is to save any data such as documents, music, pictures onto the second drive. That way the data is safe in case you have to do a rebuild of the OS or the first drive gets hosed. Programs I don't worry as much about as the data.

These are the things that I personally put on my second hard drive (not partition).

Documents(I change the location by right clicking on the my documents and going into properties and specifying a folder on the second drive)
Music
Pictures
My swap file (this speeds up the swapping of data and you can get to this from the advanced properties of my computer)
My temporary internet files(use IE tools -- internet options)

Wogus

Wow you guys are great!

Okie dokie then... here's the MASTER PLAN!

Reboot via WinXP disk, choosing to erase the existing partion and creating a new partition for XP itself (say 5Mb), using NTFS, then install drivers, programs, and previously backed up data files.

BUT! Is it going to be a problem to save my data to my second HDD and then move it all back on to the C: once it's been formatted in NTFS? The reason I ask is because the files will be saved on a FAT32 file system (second drive) then moved onto my newly NTFS formatted C: drive. I will then use XP to reformat the second HDD in NTFS as well.

Am I on the right track??

Thanks again!!

Wogus

Wow you guys are great!

Okie dokie then... here's the MASTER PLAN!

Reboot via WinXP disk, choosing to erase the existing partion and creating a new partition for XP itself (say 5Mb), using NTFS, then install drivers, programs, and previously backed up data files.

BUT! Is it going to be a problem to save my data to my second HDD and then move it all back on to the C: once it's been formatted in NTFS? The reason I ask is because the files will be saved on a FAT32 file system (second drive) then moved onto my newly NTFS formatted C: drive. I will then use XP to reformat the second HDD in NTFS as well.

Am I on the right track??

Thanks again!!

You can transfer files easily from Fat32 to NTFS. I have 2 HDD's in one computer and one drive is NTFS and the other is FAT32. Don't worry about it. Sounds like your on the right track. I did the same thing when upgrading to WinXP formatted my main drive to NTFS then copied all my stuff from my 2nd Fat32 drive, formatted that using NTFS then copied it all back to the second drive.

"Just a rant about Compaqs as a friend owns one. I hate the fact that they auto partition a drive into 2 on setup, cause it makes it a real pain to set it up right (Or if you have a smaller drive, it just means you have less usuably space in the long run...)" I feel your pain...lol

S

Slithy Tove

Wogus - you want to create your plan before you start an installation so you know where you're going ahead of time. I would recommend you take a few minutes and read THIS ENTIRE THREAD for some additional information and insights.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online