1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove Default Icons on Desktop in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCKimmel, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCKimmel

JCKimmel Thread Starter

I am trying to remove the default icons from appearing on the desktop for all users except the Local Administrator. I do need two controlling application icons on the desktop and if I put the shortcut in the All Users\Desktop folder when I log on as a user the My Computer, and My Documents icons appear also.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply!

2. cnm

cnm

Do this: Start->Run->gpedit.msc to bring up the Group Policy Editor.
    Then navigate to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Desktop. On the right you will see the options to remove various icons from the desktop. If you click one of those options, helpful explanatory text appears.

Enjoy!

3. JCKimmel

JCKimmel Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, that worked!

Another question: After I set it so the default icons would not show up, they were disabled for all users, including the Administrator. Is there a way to set it so that it affects only a certain group. This is a stand alone system with no access to a network.

Thanks again!

4. cnm

cnm

I dunno. I'd just make desktop shortcut to Windows Explorer. You can get to everything from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!