1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove keyboard of Gateway M320 notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Curly, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

I am trying to remove the keyboard from a Gateway M320 notebook. I can detach everything but the cable!

Step 13 of the instructions found here on Gateway's support site says to lift a brown latch to unlock the keyboard connector.

I don't see a latch anywhere near the cable -- brown or otherwise. I have tried gently tugging and sliding everything connected to the cable connector.

Is anyone familiar with how to disconnect they keyboard cable from this or similar model notebook?

Thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    DISCLAIMER: I have never worked on a Gateway laptop computer. The following information is based on my working with LCD modules, some of which use similar cables and sockets. I am not responsible for any damage that may occur if you use this information.

The cable in the picture is a flat flex cable (FFC). Some FFC mating sockets are of a Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) type. The sockets allow the cable to be freely inserted into the socket. A locking mechanism is then latched to hold the cable in place. It has to be unlatched to safely remove the cable. The latches come in different styles. One style uses a flipper tab (I have seen brown ones) that extends the width of the cable. The tab flips towards the cable to lock it and away from the cable to release.

The ZIF socket in the picture looks like it might be of a type where the latch mechanism slides in and out of the socket, parallel to the cable. GENTLY AND EVENLY Pushing it into the socket locks the cable and GENTLY AND EVENLY pulling on it at each end to move it parallel to the cable and out of the socket a little bit releases the cable.

BOTH LATCH TYPES HAVE VERY THIN SECTIONS OF PLASTIC THAT CAN BREAK EASILY. THEY NEED TO BE HANDLED WITH EXTREME CARE.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice