1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove leftover WMP reg entries

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bozz, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

I had been using WMP 6.4. Decided to try Version 7. Uninstalled and checked out Version 9. Wish I hadn't done either. I don't care for the extra features they added and should have just stayed with 6.4.

After searching, I've learned that those newer versions added lots of registry entry's that do not get removed with Add/Remove Programs.

When I run Spybot S&D, I still see entry's about Media Player and SDK. I have Win98SE, use Norton Windoctor and JV16 Powertools.

Is there a tool or guide to remove leftover WMP registry entries before putting 6.4 back on? I had deleted 6.4 from Explorer and ran the above before installing the other versions. I also have the Alternative versions, but need WMP for streaming.

2. JRSellers

JRSellers Banned

I use TuneUp RestryCleaner, part of TuneUp Utilities.

For spyware, I use Adaware.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Depending on how many days it's been, you can roll back your registry to a prior day and you'll be back to square one. W98 keeps a rolling 5 days of registry backups. It creates a backup each day when you start your PC. If you want to try it, boot to a command prompt and type in the following

scanreg /restore

The second screen will display a list of the backups available and the date of the backup. If you see one dated the day you installed the first new version of WMP, select it and restore back to that day.

4. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

Thanks JRSellers, but I would rather not get into shareware. Perhaps there is a good free registry cleaner that could be recommended.

Thanks Bryan. Unfortunatley, it has been more than five days.

5. JRSellers

JRSellers Banned

I found some @ MajorGeeks.Com.

6. tricksydixie

tricksydixie

Hi all this is my 1st time please be gentle. had loads of virus's got rid of most but when I try to run regedit it says it cant find file. Also I keep reading about hijacker and there are lots of info after im I supsed to use that sorry for being so think Please help Ive run avast scanner and panda (that says ive 3 virus left but no idea what or where they are thanxs :)

7. bozz

bozz Thread Starter

Hi tricksydixie. Welcome to Tech Support Guy. Lot's of good folks here.

I really think you might get better results if you started a new thread about the issues you're having. This one was about leftover WMP registry entries. You have a different problem goin' on there. ;) The Security Forum would be better suited for your situation. Good luck. I hope can get things worked out. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/285884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice