1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove OEM Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dg101, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dg101

dg101 Thread Starter

We are in need of a new computer, but have quite a bit of fairly new software which has limited (or no) compatibility with Vista (I've done the research). Unfortunately, most all of the new computers now come with Vista pre-installed. In order to get the configuration and pricing that I want, I'd like to get a new computer, remove Vista (would it let me reformat the hard drive?), and do a clean install of XP SP2. I've reformatted and done clean installs of 98 and all previous versions, but haven't had the need yet on XP, and have no idea how Vista would act. Plus, I've never tried to go backwards in terms of versions. Would this be a reasonable approach? Is it even possible? If so, where might I find instructions (I've found instructions for going back to a previously loaded XP, but not for specifically what I'm looking to do.)

Thanks for any help!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't matter what operating system is currently installed since you're going to wipe everything and load a new OS. You just put the XP disk in, boot from it, and follow the prompts.

3. techy689

techy689

Will you have the drivers for that hardware available to install on XP....since the drivers may only be made for Vista....

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would bet you can still purchase a new computer with Windows XP. I am sure none of the major manufacturers are going to turn that down at this point.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    As near as I can tell .. All the new Computers are being shipped w Vista installed.
    If you get one off the shelf with XP installed ... You'll be entitled to a free Vista upgrade.
    Sounds like that's the best way to go ... you should then have a choice.
    Better make sure you'll be getting something better than Vista home Basic.

I just read ... Home Basic is so limited ...
    They added some routines to let you upgrade it (at additional cost) when you find out you won't like it.
    Better hurry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice