1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remove partition & add space to system drive & a diff partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drumtalkin, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drumtalkin

drumtalkin Thread Starter

Win XP home ed.:
    What are the steps needed to access one of my partitions, delete it, then use 1/2 the space and apply to system drive and the other 1/2 to another partition?

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

You need to use a Partition Management program

Partition Magic is the program of choice

Partition Logic and Ranish are free.

Paragon Partition Manager and Acronis Disk Director are other paid for programs.

You could also use a Linux bootable CD

Before making any changes, back up all your data first.

hth

Ceri

3. drumtalkin

Thx Ceri!
    I located the free download on the web and will do it as soon as I get everything backed up. I have some other drives but they are either in a tower or stand-alone but w/o a case. Need to obtain a SATA configured HD portable case for them... I'll be able to successfully back up data then and be on toward doing the partition magic. thx again. I'll let you know the outcome.
    drumtalkin

4. drumtalkin

Hey Ceri!

Well, I told you I would get back to you and let you know how that lil' project went partitioning the drives or rather unpartioning them. No go w/ NTSF file system according to Partition Magic. Good for FAT16 and FAT32 systems but that's it. I will download the others just to see what they will do, but I have already backed everything up on an external and am ready to start over w/ a clean install. Too bad the PM didn't work w/ the NTSF system but who knew? Say, I don't know if you were looking but maybe you know a friend who is: check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008
    A good friend turned me onto this item, I ordered it and used it for my SATA drive. I needed an external case anyway to do the backup. Really glad I located this. My bud had been having problems w/ his external backup HD getting too hot in the enclosure due to no air circulation and located this item, was telling me about it, so I tried it...really glad I did...very nice quality and in my opinion worth the lil' extra $ for what you get...come on, it's air cooled! Sweet. Take care.

Drumtalkin

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. drumtalkin

Hey Elvandil...thx much! We'll check 'er out. Ya know, for a newbie like me to this forum this is so great! I mean, I can come here and talk w/ others like yourself about tech issues and get a diff perspective and some good ideas; appreciate you makin' the time to give me some other ideas. Have a good!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!