1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remove printer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by psgabin, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psgabin

psgabin Thread Starter

I can't remove a printer not connected to computer, If i highlite in "printers" and press delete, I get a cannot remove message. Is there a way to remove printer by deleteing a file or files or somewhere in registry??

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi psgabin, Welcome to TSG !!
    What OS are you running?
    Do you have Admin rights to machine?
    Do you have full control of the printer?
    This info will help a great deal so we can help!

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. psgabin

psgabin Thread Starter

i'm using xp home, only user on computer admin rights (how do i check??)
    this printer is not connected to computer anymore.

4. Mollie

Mollie

If the printer drivers and files are installed, most of the time it doesn't matter if the printer is actually attached to the computer - XP will still see it as "there" because the files and drivers are.
    What I would suggest is checking to see if there are any computer files you can uninstall through the add/remove programs applet located in your control panel. If so, uninstall them. If not, or if that doesn't help resolve the problem, click start, then run, and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes), click ok, and when the msconfig dialog box appears, click on the startup tab. Scroll down the list of startup items and UNcheck any files that have to do specifically with your printer. Then click apply, then ok, and click "yes" when prompted to restart.

I don't know if this will help, but it might be worth checking out.

Mollie
    _ _ _
    "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class -- except Congress." Mark Twain

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!