1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove Recently Used File in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Billstan, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billstan

Billstan Thread Starter

How do I remove a single file from the Recent File List that appears when Access is activated? Right click does not work; merely says Whats This? (Access 2000, Win XP SP2)

2. OBP

OBP

I can't find anything on this, although I would assume that there is a way using VBA, but there are no "help" topics on it.
    Why do you need to remove just one from the list?

3. Billstan

Billstan Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Removing individual files from the list is primarily to resolve a annoyance more than a serious problem. Temporary or minor applications tend to build up on the list, pushing active ones down or off the list. It just seems strange that's there's no apparent way to prune the list. Workaround seems to be to activate important applications frequently just to keep them at the top of the list.

4. OBP

OBP

Well if you wanted to keep a list of "Important" databases that you are working on I would suggest that you have a database for that.
    Create a table, query and Form that contains the name of the database and either an OLE Object Field or a Hyperlink field that contains a link to the database.
    On the form you could then have a combo where you can select your datbase and have access open it for you via the Link. The query can sort the databases by Alphabet, date last accessed or by a priority number that you give the databases.
    I am currently working on a Document Managament Database that does this for all types of file.

5. Billstan

Billstan Thread Starter

That's a GRATE idea!! I'll try it. Of course, there's about 5 things in there I don't know how to do but - hopefully - I can learn. Not asking for help; better I try to learn myself.
    Bill

6. OBP

OBP

Bill, I am quite happy to let you have a copy of what I have so that you can "Play with it" and maybe cut it down to do what you want.
    It is not quite finished yet as I haven't set up the "search" section.
    But what it does do will blow your mind.

7. Billstan

Billstan Thread Starter

Sure, OBP, I'd love to try your new system if you think I can handle it. Keep in mind that my skill level with Access is charitably described as intermediate at best. You can reach me directly at [email protected] after eliminating all the Q's. I'm about to start a new thread about window size. Bill

8. OBP

OBP

Bill, I will do a bit more work on it and then send you a copy, you might like it for what it is designed to do anyway. I will explain what it does, but not how, that would take too long, but most of it is "Copy-able".

9. Billstan

Billstan Thread Starter

Apparently there is no easy way to delete unwanted entries from the Recent File list displayed when Access opens. My problem was that test versions and minor applications rapidly crowd out major applications from the active list. To resolve this, I have now placed short cuts to the major applications on the Desktop and stopped using the Recent File list altogether.

My thanks to OBP for the help he has provided on this

Bill (VOBP)

10. sammiller

sammiller

I'm using recent remover for this task, this software supports some other programs too. I know about the way to clear lists by using Windows Registry, but it's nice when it's just few clicks needed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice