1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove right-click items?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by java_momma, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. java_momma

java_momma Thread Starter

At one point I had web savings (ebates) on this computer (not on purpose). I finally got rid of it in the Remove Programs list, but, I still have the option when I right-click. Is there a way to edit/remove those choices?

Thanks!
    Erin :)

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

If it is an "all the time" menu item...ALWAYS available on a right click; you will PROBABLY find it in the registry under HK_Class_Root>*>shellex>ContextMenuHandlers.....
    Please, Please note with out specific info this is not much more than a W.A. guess; albeit a pretty good one...also follow all usual warning when working in /with the registry most importantly is have a backup and know how to restore it.....
    This is at least a starting point for ya

3. java_momma

java_momma Thread Starter

Hi,

I just checked the registry where you directed me to, and I did not see it listed. However, I do want to add (because I am thinking it may have been the wrong spot) that it is only when in IE that the option is there.

If you can point me to that part of the registry, then I do believe it would fix it! :)

Thank you so much for helping.
    Erin :)

4. jcdb

jcdb

Hello,
    TO remove the web Rebates on the right-click mouse button

go to start, run, and type
    "Regedit" and click OK
    and it should be under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/microsoft/internet Explorer/ menuExt/ WebRebates

delete the WebRebates folder

Or the best way to find these web rebates stuff is do the following:
    While in the registry editor menu,
    1) Click on the "edit" on the regidtry editor menu bar
    2) Then click "find",
    3) type "rebates" in the find what window

It should take you to any web rebates files

Thanks

5. budjev

budjev

hey jcdb,
    i did the find rebates in my registry editor and deleted all of them, but i still have the webrebates0.exe and webrebates1.exe running my process's. Is there somewhere else i need to go and delete these files to get rid of them totally. I have no idea what else to do to get rid of this ****.. Thanks for any help in advance

6. jcdb

jcdb

Hello
    I don't know about that problem. I don't see them on my process. Make sure all WebRebates folders are deleted, and make sure you delete them from the recycled bin and re-start.

Then, do the edit, find ebates , delete again in the regedit. Re-start again

Last thing, very important...you should "Disable" the "file download" option in your web browser. I find that when I go to some sites, they download S#$t on my PC without my knowledge (unbelievable). Ebates has done it three time already to me. To "Disable" the "file download" do this:

1)Go to Internet option in your web browser
    2) Click the security tab, Make sure the "Internet zone" is highlighted
    3) click on custom level,
    4) Under download/file download select click "disable", click ok, ok.

This way companies like ebates won't install junk on your PC without your knowledge. You can unable the download feature again when YOU need to download something in the future. By disabling the "file download" , you are in control.

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice