1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove startup items from msconfig

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cathexis, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cathexis

Cathexis Thread Starter

I'm running Windows98 SE. In the System Configuration Utility, my list of startup items has 73 entries, of which I check about a dozen. Is there a way to remove items I will never use, or which refer to programs I no longer have? Thanks for any help!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Cathexis

Cathexis Thread Starter

Does that mean I'm stuck with this long list of "unticked" programs? I'd like to pare the list and at least eliminate programs that no longer exist.

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Click on start / settings / task bar and start menu
    Then click the 'start menu programs' tab,

Click 'remove' , now find any defunct programs and remove them,

------

Next click on Start / Programs / Disabled Startup Items
    Right click on any you know you will never use and select 'delete,

------

Use 'regedit' to cleanup any more:
    Click start / run / regedit

Navigate to this key by clicking on each successive folder's + sign, till you come to startupfolder

start here > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

Now look for all the entries that are no longer used, right click their icon in the 'name' column and DELETE,

Download this program, it will help you organize your 'msconfig' startup and it's registry entries better,

STARTER

Click on 'registry' in left column to see the startup entries, then use the other different registry folders. If you click on 'help', 'useful resources' , 'startup related' , you'll have the best links for identifying any running process on your system, , , good program ~

:)

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

These unused start-up items can be removed IF you are comfortable with using regedit and editing your registry.

What you see when you run Msconfig is compiled from several points in the registry. The ones that are NOT checked can be found in two places:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run- (Note the minus sign)
    And also in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run- (Note the minus sign here also)

When items are UNCHECKED they are moved from the RUN to the RUN- key.

Here’s how to clean it up step by step:

First make a backup of your registry by going to Start > Run and type in regedit /e backup.reg and then hit enter. This will place an icon on your desktop that can be used to restore the registry should any mistakes be made.

Next go to Start > Run and type in regedit and hit enter.

You will see a dual pane window much like Windows Explorer.
    In the left pane expand the tree by clicking on the + signs until you have navigated down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

In the right window you will see a list of programs. These are the ones that are uncheckec in MS config. Leave the first line [Default] alone and then on the items you want to get rid of, highlight the name and right click it. You will be given a choice to modify, delete or rename; chose delete. Repeat for all items you want removed.

Next navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    Repeat the above instructions.

When you finish, click on Registry and exit.

REBOOT

Open Msconfig and the list should be much shorter

Hopefully, you will have no need for the backup we created on your desktop. I would leave it for a few days and then delete it if all is well.

6. Cathexis

Cathexis Thread Starter

Thanks, starwaves77, for your help. I've gotten rid of several startup items and am slowly figuring out how to use STARTER.

7. Cathexis

Cathexis Thread Starter

Thanks, NightHawk, for your help. I've successfully edited a number of entries from the Registry. It appears that some items also get listed in \RunServices- as well.

8. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Cathexis,
    Glad your cleaning up successfully. The nice thing about starter is that it doesn't show the old defunct entries so you always have a clean view of your actual startup and you can get right down to business,

And thanks for that post, I started cleaning out all my odd junk too, I experimented a little bit more though, I deleted the whole msconfig.exe to get a clean slate and restored it with SFC, and voila~ it didn't work, ha, all the old unchecked items returned . . you have to go back to run- or shared tools/msconfig/startupfolder in XP,

Nighthawk ~ thanks for run- , that is right on the money!

:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice