1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remove Universal Remote - Restore Old Remotes

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by MICTIP, Sep 3, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. MICTIP

MICTIP Thread Starter

I paid a techie to install a Logitech Harmony 665 universal remote for my new Samsung 65" 'Smart" tv. It's SO inconvenient to use (for cable box/tv/dvd player) that we want to go back to the old remotes. But I don't know how to go about it w/out getting the techie out here again. Is there any way I can just got into the software he loaded onto my PC and just delete it and have all the old remotes work again?

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    "Is there any way I can just got into the software he loaded onto my PC and just delete it and have all the old remotes work again?"
    You can try to uninstall the program from your computer.

4. MICTIP

MICTIP Thread Starter

I have all my remotes; some aspects of each still work. But if I uninstall the Universal Remote software from my PC will it restore all functionality to them? Or do I have to do something to my TV settings?

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello MICTIP! Welcome to the forum.

Remotes work by having a particular code in it that is compatible with whatever device you are trying to operate. So in your case, the Harmony remote "acquires" the appropriate codes over the internet when the Harmony remote is programmed for the particular devices you have. The Harmony does not negate your other remotes. So you can just cease to use the Harmony remote and use the other remotes.

I realize this is not part of your question. :) But I'm surprised you found the Harmony confusing. I have one and love it. With one button I can turn the TV on, the audio receiver, and the satellite receiver box. Then with one button turn it off. I am in no way trying to change your opinion of the device. I just want to assure the technician set it up correctly, and you are still displeased with it.

6. RT

RT

In league with Drabdr here, the Harmony is very well reviewed and well liked by most owners. Though I do not own one, have considered purchasing it more than once. If were to get a universal, that'd be the one I'd look at first.

But more to the point, you should be able to remove the Logitech software from your PC, regardless of the OS version (which I don't think was mentioned) but in most Windows environments it'll be Add/Remove Programs via Control Panel.

And you said the old remotes now have only partial functionality...
    Assuming they worked fine before the Logitech install, it baffles me why the old remotes would be affected at all.

But you might try resetting to factory default, which will be buried somewhere in the TV's menu... but that will negate any changes you might have to the audio/color/brightness/contrast, etc. settings you might have made.

And it often helps to change out the batteries in the remotes, that's sort of a "reset" too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice