1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remove unwanted entries in add/remove programs applet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by empty_pocket, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. empty_pocket

empty_pocket Thread Starter

Hi all. I'm tuning up a pc for a friend whose kids have installed numerous trial games, itunes, music oasis, etc., and other misc. crap. Got most of it to my liking except this: can't get rid of 2 entries in the Add/ Remove Programs applet in Control Panel (itunes and music oasis). Here's what I've done so far:

Searched the web high and low and tried every suggestion offered to no avail

In Regedit went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Current Version|Uninstall and removed all the entries I wanted, then rebooted, went back into Add/Remove and itunes and music oasis are still there

Opened C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf, but the 2 entries aren't even listed

Someone suggested using Tweakui, but, as far as I can tell, that only removes the applets in Control Panel (unless I'm missing something there)

Installed a program called Add Remove Program Cleaner, but the 2 offending entires aren't listed in there either

And, finally, reinstalled itunes and music oasis, then rebooted, uninstalled them again, and the entries are still in the Add/Remove Programs list

This is starting to irritate me.

Thanks in advance for any new suggestions as I'd like to get this thing back to him cuz he needs to watch the farm markets tomorrow a.m. if he can

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

HijackThis or CCleaner can also show those invalid entries and remove them.

Click HERE to download HijackThis.

Click on Open The Misc Tools section from the Main Menu.

Click on Open Uninstall Manager.

Select your entry to remove and click Delete this entry.

If no luck after this and what you've already tried, I have no idea how to remove the entries. This also happens inside msconfig > Startup and sometimes, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do.

3. empty_pocket

Sorry Phantom010 to mention in my original post that I've already been there and done that too, but thanks anyway. Still open to ANY ideas anyone else has tho. lol

4. Phantom010

You can also try Add Remove Pro. It's free and might be worth a shot.

5. empty_pocket

Man, I appreciate your trying your damndest to help me Phantom101, but no luck with that one either. itunes and music oasis weren't listed there either. Got me buffaloed so far. Maybe someone will come up with something that'll get rid of 'em. Then I'll keep that prog.. for sure.

6. Phantom010

You're saying itunes and music oasis have been removed from the Uninstall key in the registry but entries still appear in "Add or Remove Programs"? When going back to the registry, are the entries really gone?

7. empty_pocket

Phantom, to your first question--EXACTLY (finally found someone who is getting the problem I'm having). To your second question--yes, the entries are gone from the registry. I've been thru them with a fine toothed comb 3 times now.

Also, I posted my prob. on other forums for more feedback and it was suggested that I try Revo Uninstaller Pro. I'm in the process of using that prog. now. Will let u know how that goes when done.

8. Phantom010

Revo won't do better, I'm afraid.

9. Phantom010

You can try the free RegScanner to find any references in the registry to the entries you want to remove from "Add or Remove Programs".

10. empty_pocket

I'll give RegScanner a look later. BTW, Revo did find LOTS of entries pertaining to my prob. and I deleted those with the prog. Haven't had a chance to see if it did any good or not tho. Will keep u posted.

11. Phantom010

Well, figured you had already uninstalled the programs so Revo wouldn't have any references to start uninstalling them.

Keep us posted! (y)

12. empty_pocket

Well, starting a new day of excitement with this pc. After all the suggestions given so far, still have itunes and music oasis in Add/Remove Programs.

13. Phantom010

14. empty_pocket

Sorry Phantom. Forgot about that one. Too many irons in the fire at once. Will d/load and run it now.

15. empty_pocket

Sorry it took so long to post back, but this old heifer got the better of me so I cleaned her craw out and did a System Recovery. Optical drive letters were missing, would boot into Windows and sit for 3-4 minutes before desktop icons would show up, etc.

Many thanks to everyone who offered help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!