Remove XP dual boot, change to single drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rcobb

Hello,

System is as follows:

I've got TWO RAID arrays created on a 3ware 9650.
Array 1: - 10 - 320 Gig drives in RAID5
Array 2: 2 - Mirror 500 Gig drives.

When initially built, XP32 was installed on array 1.
Works fine.

Later, I installed XP64 on array 2.
Again, works fine.

When booting, windows offers to let me boot from either array.

Problem:
I am no longer using the Array 1, and would like to delete it, upgrade, etc... and use it only for data, and not have the system depend on it.

I tried just removing those dives, however, the remaining array 2 drive won't boot.

Either 'no boot device available' ... not sure but I may recall seeing an error about NTLDER.SYS not being found.

Tried copying the hidden/system files from array 1 onto array 2, but didnt help.

Any suggestions on getting the correct boot sector/ini stuff written to the other array so it will boot?

Many Thanks

R Cobb
http://FloridaPhoto.com

Try this, it will at least show you the boot ini if it is on the root of the drive array

If you are using any Windows NT line of operating systems that use the NTLDR bootloader (ie, Windows XP) you can apply a small trick during bootup for NTLDR to display more information before startup.

1. Boot into the Windows Advanced Boot Menu by tapping F8.
2. Hit <esc> to go to the OS Selection Screen.
3. At this screen, type in unsupporteddebug while the menu is displayed. Keep in mind there is nothing displayed to tell you what is being typed. After typing the above, the boot ini Path and Options will be automatically displayed at the bottom of the screen. If there is more than one OS selection you can use up down arrow keys to show each entry in the boot ini.

Note* Attempting to go back to a different menu (By pressing F5 or F8) may crash NTLDR or corrupt the first line of the display do to a buffer overrun bug. I recommend just restarting again by pressing the power button or Hit enter when done to continue booting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!