1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removed 2 viruses, now I have lingering problems...please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OneDrop, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OneDrop

OneDrop Thread Starter

I have Windows XP.

Recently, my computer had 2 viruses - W32.Welchia.Worm and W32.Blaster.Worm ---- I removed both viruses successfully with Norton anti-Virus, etc. But there are lingering problems (even though Norton says all is well with my computer). These problems may or may not be virus-related (I was abroad for the past year and away from my computer when all of this occurred...so I'm not sure what other problems may have arisen). The current problems are as follows:

1. When I delete files (Word docs, excel, etc), they often reappear mysteriously in my folders a little while later. No idea why.

2. On the internet, several of My Favorites were recently deleted by the system for some reason while others remained in tact. Meanwhile, the original favorites that were installed on the computer magically reappeared (I have an HP, so it was their pre-set favorites list that came back). Bottom line - it erased many important website links of mine, retained others, and added all of the original HP default links.

3. I am trying to save some pictures to CD. When I enter the blank CD-R, the system tells me there is no disk in the drive, please insert a disc. However, burning audio files is no problem - it recognizes the blank CD-Rs just fine in that case. But, with burning pictures to a blank disk, it thinks there is no disk.

Basically, the system is slightly unstable and I'm worried that important files will soon start to disappear...other issues I had after removing the viruses were a strange file that tried to open at startup and Windows would always tell me that it can't find this file...I resolved this by deleting the file from the startup section and now there is no problem there. Also, I had a Backweb-137903.exe error whenever I went on the internet...I found a solution on another thread on this forum and it worked. I went into MSconfig and unchecked the HPCenter at startup.

I'm worried that either of these 2 corrective actions could also be causing trouble and maybe they weren't the best solutions.

Any help on one or all of the issues would be appreciated...what else can I do to figure out where the glitches are in the system besides running my anti-virus software (Norton)? When you have a virus on your computer, is it pretty well doomed to have little nagging problems for the rest of its life even after you remove them?

Sorry for being so wordy!

Thanks for any help...

2. tlund_99

tlund_99

Did you go to the Norton site and get a removal tool for these viruses or just remove them with the scanning tool.Take a look at the Norton website and see if there is a specific removal tool(s) for these viruses.

3. OneDrop

OneDrop Thread Starter

Yes, I downloaded the virus removal tool for each virus from the Norton website and the viruses were successfully found and removed according to the tools I ran.

4. kben1028

kben1028

Most viruses won't doom your system to eternal problems. Most viruses (in my opinion) are just hackers trying to show off. I'm not sure about welchia, but the Blaster worm has been a rather debilatating virus on thousands of Windows based systems in recent months. One question.....Have you updated your Windows system using the MS Windows Update site?? Doing this will resolve many of the security holes in Windows which allowed your machine to be infected by the blaster worm. The URL for the update site is listed below:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Go to that site and it will automatically detect the version of Windows you have and what updates you may already have. When it gives you the option, click "Scan for Updates". When the scan finishes, I would strongly advise downloading and installing all Critical updates/service packs. Being you've been away for a year, I'm sure there will be quite a few updates waitng on you, so they may take a while to d/l and install.

5. galfridayny

galfridayny

I've had similar problems with pictures I've put into individual folders in the "My Pictures" folder. Suddenly, 5 days ago, about 8 different folders will not open to their pictures. The folders do not show as being empty, just won't let me see the pictures. I've done countless scans from Norton and Windows, all showing "no viruses, worms or trojans". Some of these pictures can't be replaced. All the rest of my individual folders (about 20) still contain their pictures and allow me to see them.
    Not sure what to do here. I have WindowsXP and I've done a two-week quick restore - to no avail. HELP!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice