1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

removed cpu now pc wont start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wayneali, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneali

wayneali Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have had a custom built AMD pc for around 5 yrs, and recently started having a few problems that seem to be over heating related.

Before I go any further - I am a relative novice when it comes to the inner workings of a pc.

A short while ago the fan in the power supply packed up which I replaced successfully, but more recently the pc has been randomly shutting down, guessing that it was an over heating issue, the side came off the pc for inspection. All fans seemed to be running fine, however I did notice that the cpu heatsink (or at least i think it is the cpu heatsink) was clogged with dust. I unclipped the cpu (exposing the pins underneath) and using a handheld hoover, vacumed out the dust. I only removed the complete unit, I didn't separate the fan from the heatsink or the heatsink from the cpu. After replacing the cpu and reconnecting everything to the pc I tried turning on - Nothing.

The fans seem to work, the HD light is on permanently (as opposed to flashing & flickering as it usually does) and no usb hardware is working, and the monitor is not powering up. I have checked the pins on the back of the cpu and none seem to be bent or out of place.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Wayne

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

try resetting bios remove battery for a minute
    double and trebble check all power connectors are reseated esp the cpu
    guessing you replaced the thermal paste, tiny possibility too much and covering pins
    i would re -reseat it from scratch, remove all ram turn on for few seconds then turn off seat x1 ram only go step by step

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I am curious how you removed the heatsink and CPU as a single unit; because on every PC I have worked on you have to remove the heatsink in order to get to the handle that unlocks the CPU. Then reverse the process to put it back together. So, I suspect the CPU isn't latched properly, or bent pins.

If you don't feel comfortable working inside a PC, I would seek help from someone with experience. Or if you decide to go it alone I would first remove the heatsink and CPU, separately this time, if possible. If not possible and they come out together, then separate them. (Putting the heatsink, fan and CPU in a 170 degree F oven for 10 minutes helps if the CPU won't budge).

Re-check the CPU for bent pins, and check the socket on the motherboard for damage (with the locking lever lifted up). If these are ok, reinstall the CPU (noting proper orientation) and lock it in place. Clean all the old thermal paste or pad off of the CPU and bottom of the heatsink (99% isopropyl alcohol works well for this). Install a small amount of thermal paste on the CPU, using the tutorial at http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm as a guide. Finally reattach the heatsink and fan.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice