1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removed DVD-R driver by accident

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarmCurb, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

I'm convinced that I accidentally removed the DVD-R driver from my CD-RW/DVD-R drive. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 and haven't been able to track down or successfully update the driver to fix this problem. Can someone help me? I'm really new at this. Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. Leec65

Leec65

CD/DVD do not have drivers, windows has all there drivers have you tryed system restore?

4. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

No, how would I do that? Will that erase anything from my HD?

5. Leec65

Leec65

no it just reset your setting you will not lost any thing

program/accessories/systen tools/system restore

and pick a date when your DVD was working

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What are the indications you get, tell us about the problem you're trying to solve.

7. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

DVDs used to load automatically or I'd have to access them through My Computer; neither way work now. I can still play CDs as normal, but I get no response from DVDs. I've tried multiple DVD-playing software but to no avail. Dell simply suggested I download a K-Lite codec, which did nothing. Others have suggested updating my drivers but that didn't work either.

Conclusion: I'm assuming that the lasers used to read DVDs have been damaged somehow and that I need to replace the drive.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your conclusion is most likely correct. The dvd and cd use different lasers. It is very possible for a drive to read CDs and not DVDs.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice