1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removed NIC in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Frank4d, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I have a PC that has an onboard Intel Pro 1000 MT dual gigabit ethernet controller. When it was originally set up, IT configured it using a 3Com 10/100 NIC that was temporarily installed (the IT guy said his network bootdisk would not work with the onboard controller). After a Windows image was loaded, the 3Com card was removed.

Now my problem is that if I try to set a static IP of 192.168.0.1 on the onboard controller, I get an error saying the IP is reserved for a NIC that is no longer installed and might cause problems if I use it. Do I want to select another IP? (No, I want to use that one).

If I look in Device Manager I see the 3Com card is disabled. When I try to remove it I receive an error that the card cannot be removed because it may be needed for the PC to boot. Why? There is no cards installed.

How can I remove the 3Com card from Device Manager and make Windows forget the IP is reserved? I am quite comfortable editing the registry if I knew where to look.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try checking in BIOS to see if the NIC is disabled if it is turn it back on and let the computer boot and this should help.

3. Frank4d

The onboard dual NIC is enabled and is working. Problem is with an add-on card that is no longer installed.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Then in device manager remove both NIC's and then reboot the computer I would do this thru safe mode and just make sure that all NIC's are removed.

5. Frank4d

I'll give that a try.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice