1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

removing a security package

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by eastcoast, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eastcoast

eastcoast Thread Starter

I have the following problem. Our cable internet provider sells a security package that you can install on your machine.

We moved and I left the computer with my daughter while she was at school. She never updated the security package so it has expired. She is moving out of town where service from that vendor is not available.

I would like to remove their security package but I have not be successful in doing so.

I went into control panel --> programs --> and un-installed their package --> cable provider internet security package.

However...

I notice I still see their icon when you turn on their computer. It comes in as a pop-up. the windows security centre under the firewall menu still has a reference to the application - a button allowing you to select the Cable modem Internet Security Services 8.02 firewall package. All the files for the app are still under c:\program files\cable modem Internet Security.

So although I unistalled it from control panel programs it still seems to be there?

Question:
    did I make a mistake by not unloading the application before I went to control panel and uninstalled it?

Question 2:
    Any idea of how I am going to get rid of it? Can I still delete the relevant files under program files and that takes care of it?

thanks in advance

2. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT

Hi,

This could get messy if it is an adaptation of something like ZoneAlarm, a very sticky thing to get rid of in some of the earlier versions. My first suggestion, but others may have better ideas, would be to do a system restore back to before you uninstalled it. That should reinstate it.

Then get a free copy of Revo Uninstaller and install that. It has a "Hunter" mode and when you click that you get what looks like cross hairs on a gun sight. Drag that to the Security icon and drop it, then click Uninstall.

Select option 4 (by default it is set at 3) and then follow though the pages. It may take 5 or more minutes, be patient and delete everything that it suggests. In the Registry section ONLY click the Bold items for deletion. There may be a lot with non-bold ones in between so be careful.

When it has finished, reboot and let's know where it is at.

Dave

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that doesn't work do you know what that package actually is? I'm guessing that it's not developed by the ISP, but is a renamed Norton, McAfee, CA, etc., product. Many of those have a Removal Tool to unwind everything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice