Removing a Table without deleting the data within the table!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cbrown89

Hi there,

I have excel 2007 and I am trying to delete a table I put in. (Insert > Table) The problem is when i do this it deletes the data within the table. I dont want to have to delete the table and put in all the information again. Is there an easy way to do this? I looked at a similar post and it said to press the filter button on the data tab. This does nothing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly aprreciated.

cheers.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Select the table, then go to the "Layout" tab, on the far right is a Convert to Text, select that and see what happens.

cbrown89

I cant seem to find that, its not in the "page layout" tab. Its weird, theres are no black lines going around the boxs. Instead one column is light blue the next is dark blue. Any other suggestions?

If you click anywher in side the table it will give you another option on the top menu named design, click on that and you will see convert to range, click this

Attachments

cbrown89

sorry that post was done just as rama4672 posted. i will check that

cbrown89

Clicking convert to range only takes away the design tab for the table. I want to delete the table but keep the data. Even after converting to range i still cant select the table and delete it.

Once you have converted it to a range you then need to highlight the table and click on normal at the top

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You have posted a shot of Excel, I was giving you instructions to make changes in a table in Word.

I have NEVER done any tables in Excel.

What you do assuming you still have the table is click anywhere in the table and you should be in the Table Tools, Design ribbon.
Click on the Convert to range option and then click on Yes to convert the table to a normal range.

You will still be left with all the formatting.

To remove all the formatting and set the cells back to the default of Excel, whilst retaining all the data, do the following.

Select all the cells where you want to remove the formatting and click on the Home ribbon and on the far right of the ribbon, you will see a rubber (white) icon in the Editing block. If you hover over that icon it should tell you it is the Clear button.

Click on the Clear button and then select Clear Formats.

That should remove all the formatting and set the data back to the default.

Creating a table in Excel sets up quite a bit of coding in the background and does a lot of donkey work for you.

Removing the table does exactly what you tell it to do.
To remove coding set up in the background, you need to convert the table back to a normal block of data (Convert to range).

However Excel assumes you want to retain the formatting. If you do, then no problem. If you don't, you need to Clear the formatting, not delete as that will remove the data as well.

I hope that helps. If it does, can you scroll to the top of the thread and click on the Solved icon.

cbrown89

Hey fixed it myself. What i did was convert to range and in the design>table styles option i changed it to blank.

cbrown89

although after the way i did it i found that "the villan"'s way of doing it was the best. Cheers guys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online